Garmin GPS ?

Discussion in 'Maps, GPS and Google Earth' started by JMshooter, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JMshooter

JMshooter Well-Known Member

First off I have read alot of the threads on the GPS here. I have never used a GPS before, I like use a paper map, But the time has come for me to get a GPS. my question is, I'm going to get a GPS to use the plat4gps chip in UT. what would be the best garmin for me to get?
    any help would be great.

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Get the Oregon unit, whichever one in that series that has the minimum number of bells and whistles you really will use.

3. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Agreed. They are a really nice unit.

Another option if you are looking for something cheaper would be the Vista HCx. I believe they will also work with those maps and there are some really good deals on them since they were discontinued. The vista isn't touch screen and instead has a joystick for controls. The Vista has a bit better batter life though which is a nice feature for the way I use it.

Scot E.

4. JMshooter

does anyone have feed back on Oregon model touch screens? How hard is it to use with gloves on when cold out?
    How is the Battery life?

5. jackem

jackem Well-Known Member

I have the Montana with touch screen. I don't think the touch screen on it and the Oregon are much different. Mine does not work well with gloves.

Battery life on the Montana is great.

Jack

6. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Most touch screens don't work at all or don't work well with gloves. The Oregon is rated for 16 hours of battery life. I think they recommend lithium for the best performance but lithium are horrible in the cold so I don't use them.

Scot E.

7. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

Lithium are the best battery in the cold in my experience.

8. JMshooter

Is there a different Garmin that I should be looking at, that doesn't have a touch screen? I will be using it mostly in the cold with gloves.

9. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

really? I have had awful luck with them. What brand do you use?

Thanks,

Scot E.

10. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Not sure but it shouldn't matter.

11. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Hmm, well maybe I need to try them again. Mine were rechargeable so maybe that had something to do with it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Scot E.

12. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like I may have had a bad set of lithium batteries. Either way there are sufficient options for the cold so I wouldn't worry about that.

For gloves I would personally look at the Vista HCx. I have had excellent success with the etrex line in general so I wold say you can't go wrong with any of them. Just find what you need and go with it.

Scot E.

13. JMshooter

Thanks for all the help

14. jackem

jackem Well-Known Member

Just as a side note for Mac users.

I have a Mac and the original chip I got from GPS Hunting Maps would not work with Garmin Basecamp when using the Mac. I just sent in the chip for an upgrade to 2012 and that chip works with Garmin Basecamp and a Mac.

The result is the upgrade allows me to use the Mac laptop to peruse an area on a much bigger screen for more detail and then download routes, waypoints, etc to my Montana.

IMHO a very handy tool for planning a hunt and making sure you are where you are before you pull the trigger.

Jack