Gap 6.5 s case capacity

Rich,

This is the best I could come up with on short notice.
Gunny Sergeant
Follows10Following0
reputation_off.png

Join Date Mar 2002Location N Kansas City, MOPosts 1,489Feedback Score 2 (100%)
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeOBX
What's the case fill % with H1000 or Retumbo?

90-95% with H1000, 95-100% with Retumbo. thats giving the load of 61 grains of H1000 and 63 grains of Retumbo on a 140 class bullet

63 grains of H1000 and the 130 Berger is about spot on 100% case fill under bullet

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM - Page 6

t

I believe I figured 70.2 grains of water on mine

Thanks guys! Do you know what the case dimensions are? Was there any change from the saum or is it just necked down? The capacity for my SS is very similar with RP brass and holds 71.5 With Norma, but my case is considerably shorter than a normal saum so it will fit in a std. mag......Rich

Rich,
I just remeasured it. It's 72.8. Just a 7 SAUM necked down .081" freebore. That's Norma brass. 300 SAUM and once fired

Rich,
I just remeasured it. It's 72.8. Just a 7 SAUM necked down .081" freebore. That's Norma brass. 300 SAUM and once fired

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it should have slightly more capacity than mine because mine is Creedmore length (body). I blew out some taper and sharpened the shoulder so it looks like I only lost about a grain of capacity. I know that short powder column is looking really efficient. We can get 3100' with160's in a 26" barrel.......rich

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it should have slightly more capacity than mine because mine is Creedmore length (body). I blew out some taper and sharpened the shoulder so it looks like I only lost about a grain of capacity. I know that short powder column is looking really efficient. We can get 3100' with160's in a 26" barrel.......rich

What load are you running? My SAUM is 3030 with a 160 matrix with 61.5 Ramshot magnum in a 24" tube. It is not a hot load.

What load are you running? My SAUM is 3030 with a 160 matrix with 61.5 Ramshot magnum in a 24" tube. It is not a hot load.

Can't remember for sure, but I think it was 65 grains? Rhian chrono'd it in his rifle. He was using RL33. He actually clocked 3184', but he has a 29" barrel. We figured a 26" would easily make 3100'......Rich

Obviously it would be a lot more trouble than just using SAUM brass, but would it be possible to form down from .300 WSM brass if thats all you could find?

Obviously it would be a lot more trouble than just using SAUM brass, but would it be possible to form down from .300 WSM brass if thats all you could find?

I tried WSM initially and it won't work because the case body is way too thick to become neck material. Most of the cases will be destroyed and the rest would take a lot of machining to be useable......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.