Gain Twist Barrels

TGScott

I've been considering rebarreling my Rem. 700 30-06 with a Ron Smith gain twist bbrl. Claims are that you will gain another 100-150 fps. and that the bbrl. will be more forgiving of bullet weight, ie. give decent accuracy with a broader range of bullet wts. Anybody have first hand experience with gain twist bbrls., and Ron's in particular? If the claims are true, my old '06 would be right up there with factory 300 WSM & Win. mag. ballistics.

TS

I have a Ron Smith barrel with a gain twist. I don't have a chrony (yet) so I can't confirm the increase in speed. I will attest that it is a tack driver. I have only put 20 rounds through it so far and have been breaking it in. My groups thus far have been between .25 and .5 inches at 100 yds. To be clear, it is a target weight barrel in .308. I have another of his barrels in .308 on a hunting rifle. It was a re-bore which he said probably wouldn't be as accurate. Nevertheless, it still shoots under 1" groups regularly so I can't complain. Once I get my chrony I will compare the velocity of gain twist against a standard twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.