gadgets

col48

hi
i am after a altitude meter and pressure meter.
do i need both for good load development,(to put in ballistics programs)
if so what are your recommendations of type and cost and where to get one from (a link would be nice)

i have a cheap wind meter and it would be nice to combine all the units in to one,what is there out there.
thanks Colin

Col,
In my opinion you dont need either for good load developement but for balistic projections maybe.
Dont forget a hand held wind meter can only tell you what the wind is doing where you are standing but not down range.
As for elevation, look at an Ordnance Survey map for the area where you are shooting, it will give you the elevation in feet above sea level.

Ian.

The cheapest gadget is called a topo map.

Some of the high end GPS units come with an altimeter / pressure because it is necessary to fix the third dimension (assuming the people who buy them can't read a topo map countour level)

Depending on world affairs and other mysteries in life a 1000 feet change in elevation is worth about 1 MOA at 1000yds

i am getting ready to set up to do some drop charts,
and was wondering how much difference it will make in my charts from Scotland to england.
and because i go on paid days i was wondering if it would make much difference.

which is the most important,temp our altitude????our do you have to have them both to get things right.

Gentlemen,

Purchase Sierra Infinity and spend a few minutes with it. You'll find that a modest elevation change of 1000-2000 feet has very little effect on the bullet to 600 yards. Air density virtually the same, punch in the numbers and see the results! Changes in velocity due to temperature are the most critical thing a shooter needs to watch, especially when shooting past 600 yards.

Kestrel and Skymate both make good wind meters, but as the gentlemen mentioned they only tell you the wind speed at your location. You'll need to watch trees, grass and other environmental indicators between you and the target.

Its hard to beat experience!!!!

Hope this helps?

Respectfully

Darrell Holland

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts