Gadget needed, video camera type

Brent

Still got me scratching my head~~~~

It's 52 yards to the peak of that house.

My shingles are 11.5 inches between "cracks".

what power did I actually have the scope set on?

Did the power of the camera have any effect?

I can replicate this to discover the near truth.

If your roof line slope is 30 degrees, then I would guess about 6.5 power, the camera magnification will not matter.
smile.gif

[ 06-04-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Dave, I still haven't figured out the shingle size thing, it's got me baffled too. Mine are 13.5" between "cuts", yours are 10.5", I think your neighbor has even a different size... they definitelly don't seem standard anyway!
grin.gif

Your scope seems to still have been set on 7 power, 5.5x maybe... depends on if each shingle has about 4" of exposure (measured vertical) and maybe 5.5" in reality like mine. I see they are each about 2 MOA high and 13.5 MOA wide... About all I can tell ya unless you climb up on his roof and measure them for me.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Come on now.
grin.gif
Get us some more good pics through that R2 while you're at it, this time start easy and work up to the hard stuff!
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Fun stuff!
smile.gif

S1 Brent

I was resonably sure I increased the power on that scope before I took that picture but the math seems to indicate otherwise (forgot to take my Alzheimer's meds I guess). So I NEED to do some testing
smile.gif
(I like testing
smile.gif
).

My math seemed to indicate 88 yards assuming the "standard" 5 MOA horizontal. This would put me at 5.9 power on the scope... 52 actual yards / 88 perceived yards = .59 ratio... Tick for NXS is at 10 power so 10 * .59 distance delta ratio = 5.9 power.

How did this thread begin?

I'll find some more stuff to photograph.

I think your strongest evidence may be your own photo of the power ring. The roof line is not perpendicular to your sight line, so like the roof's slope the shingle dimension in the scope will appear smaller than actual, leading you to conclude it is farther away than actual.

Brent

I took the picture of the rifle first THEN changed the position and took the picture through the scope... During the setup I screwed around with the zoom on the camera and I thought the power on the scope too.

The scope/reticle, as I understand it, is calibrated for one power (10 power, indicated by the additional "tick" mark) hence my reference to the "tick".

I therefore can use the actual laser distance and the calculated distance (assume the reticle is indicating the standard 2 MOA and 5 MOA graduations) to back calculate the power setting. I measured my shingles at 11.5 inches between horizontal "cuts" and I "measured" them against the picture at 13 MOA. ((11.5/13) = .8846) * 100 = 88.5 yards. the LASERed 52 yards / the perceived 88 yards resulting in a .59 ratio. I believe I had the scope set to 5.9 power but I could be all wet...

I'll set this thing up again tonight against a "calibrated" target and do it again.

On the height of the shingles...no method handy to tell the actual evaluated/presented height... I don't know the pitch of the roof and I'm not real well acquainted with the neighbors (city/suburban life is like that in a high turnover area).

S1

Angle at this distance is inconsequential IMHO if shooting a decent rifle, null and void statement if shooting slingshot, archery, 38 Special, etc.

Help me out here on something I've been thinking about for a while... IYDM

The MAXIMUM error that an angle can induce (assuming no upside down weapon firing) is the total of the vertical correction at the target distance plus the "zero" distance drop correction. For example: 100 yards, scope height above bore 1.75 inches, drop from muzzle to 100 yard zero ~ 2 MOA. Rifle is ZEROed at 100 yards so total correction is 3.75 MOA to 100 yard zero. Shooter now shoots directly toward the center of the Earth from 100 yard platform so bullet drop[/] is in the same plane as the trajectory. The induced 3.75 MOA of correction for the 100 yard zero now offsets the round from the intended POI by 3.75 MOA. Change target to 200 yards and add 2 MOA of elevation correction and then shooting straight down... the original 3.75 MOA is still present and we have an additional 2 MOA entered by the shooter to attempt to set the scope for 200 yards. The total POA to POI error now is 5.75 MOA and the round will strike 11.5 inches from the intended POI. SO... I guess where I headed is that if we're shooting at LARGE targets (vertically handicapped recipients like iron maidens) and we use a center mass hold we need minimal angle correction for up to about 200 yards. For targets of 8 inches or larger and distance under 100 yards we need never correct for angle... In theory.

[ 06-05-2003: Message edited by: 338-378 ]

[ 03-10-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]

[ 03-10-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]

Boyd...Come to Missouri... and we will give you lessons on how to kill quickly at long range. Leave your range finder at home, in this game we use things a bit more advanced.
grin.gif

Did you ever hear the saying.Keep it simple stupid.Why make it any harder than it has to be...
grin.gif
...Not sure if I wanna come out there.Might wanna start using Mil-Dot's....NOT.....
shocked.gif
grin.gif

[ 06-05-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Sweat Pea (Boyd) When you can kill 3 targets in less than 3 seconds at 3 different ranges past 500 yards, bring lots of money, its time to play. Leave your bolt guns at home...Tooooo Slooooooow

By the way ....How long does it take you guys to range 3 different targets past 500 yards?

Lets see now....two spotters per target, plus the kill shot, Nine shots plus all the clickin.........Yawn..............
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.