G7 BR2 vs vectronix terrapin

I'm still in debate. Everybody is telling me to stitck with the g7. Yes it will be quicker and it is dead on out to 1400. I'm still not sure what's going on with my shooter app and my kestrel. Something isn't right and I want to blame the kestrel.

Today I went shooting. I started at 1106. My goal for today was to time myself making a 1100 yard shot first using the br2 and shooter with the ballistic compensater turned off and then using the br2 with it on to see if it really took that long to put everything in the shooter app. But I couldn't tell wether I was hitting the rock or not due to me not having a spotter which makes this situation hard. I heard the hits on the rock but did not see the hits. But this could have been from shooting a lightweight 7 stw unbraked so it took a second to find the target in my scope.

So I then switched to the br2 and ranged the rock. Dialed what it told me and boom, watched the bullet create a dust cloud. And once again their was a half minute difference (the br2 telling me to dial up more) and it looks like the g7 was dead on once again.

But still what happened with that doe just won't leave the back of my head! MMERSS, they need to come out with the night pin br2 like now!! For the low price of 6 billion dollars!

Do you guys use temp in the kestrel or wet bulb temp? For some reason I feel like the kestrel is always 10-15 degrees warmer then it really is. Which could be causing the differences in my shooter app.

I have not used the G7 BR2. I have used the Leica 1600,owned a Swaro, and a Vectronix plrf 05.

Out of those rfs nothing compares to the plr 05 past 1200 yards, as far as beam divergence( leicas have a pretty quick response), effects of lighting conditions, and response time. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting past 1500 yds where you need exact as possible yardages and need to range small targets. You will probaly never outgrow this RF. I ranged 4 different objects from lone trees to brine water tanks a few days ago. All objects were over 4000 yds out the furthest being 4663yds and all were ranged with only one response of the button. And ranged on pretty flat land. It would be nice if the plrf 05 had a B.C. But with it's ranging capability and accuracy I'm not complaing:)

I believe it was for this very reason that the BR2 was made with three different ranging modes. Just switch modes to double check your range solution. Most rangefinders with wide beam divergence have the same problem distinguishing targets.

Use your BR2 for the remainder of the hunting season and practice more with your Kestrel and Terrapin after the season when you have more time. I'm finished with hunting this year, have been for a few weeks, and will start back up shooting again in December. PM if you would like some company.

I've been using a Terrapin for the last year and a half. If you need to range small objects at long distances it can't be beat. I've ranged rockckucks in wide open pastures at 750 yards. Coyotes at 1200+. I'm not talking about ranging the tree or rockpile next to the animal but ranging the animal itself. It's range is amazing. The downside is it is big and bulky and only has 5X magnification. However, they are limitations I can live with and I couldn't be happier.

I've been using a Terrapin for the last year and a half. If you need to range small objects at long distances it can't be beat. I've ranged rockckucks in wide open pastures at 750 yards. Coyotes at 1200+. I'm not talking about ranging the tree or rockpile next to the animal but ranging the animal itself. It's range is amazing. The downside is it is big and bulky and only has 5X magnification. However, they are limitations I can live with and I couldn't be happier.
I have a Terrapin and they are simply amazing. Had a Swarovski and needed more distance. The Terrapin blew the Swarovski away. Way farther readings and able to read smaller objects. You can make a bracket and mount a Swarovski doubler on your terrapin and make it 10x. A little more weight and length but much better vision and aiming. I don't worry about weight because i mount my terrapin on my Kowa highlanders and can range what i am looking at. Matt

I think you are dealing with a few different issues. 1)Confidence, as a result of missing your opportunity at the doe, 2) not having a complete understanding of how to effectively range with the G7, and 3)struggling to use/decide on changing to the Kestral, Shooter, etc. system. It appears that your G7 is set up correctly and working well as evidenced by your 1100 yard results. in my view your missed opportunity at the doe was due to confusion about the yardage reading due to terrain effects. Having ranged hundreds of animals with the G7(and Terrapin) in all kinds of difficult terrain, it is extremely likely that an accurate reading could have quickly been obtained with either unit. it's also quite possible that you would have missed your opportunity at your doe by having to take the time to measure and enter your conditions using Shooter, etc. The overall approach is based on personal preference and a lot of time and practice. In my view the logical path to solving all three issues is to master the ranging capabilities of your G7 before deciding to completely change your approach based on this one experience on game in the field. I can assure you that you will have to learn and understand the output of the Terrapin in difficult ranging situations anyway even at practical hunting ranges not to mention the use of the Kestral, angles, calculator etc. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.