G5 Montec CS

I shot them on my mathews I used to have. They shot really well. A friend of mine is a taxidermist, he shot a deer with one and happened to stick it in the spine. The broadhead penetrated the spine and was sticking in it. He cut it out of the deer and has it to this day!

I have used both the G5, and the NAP Hellrazor. I found through my own limited testing they both shot very well. THe G% seemed to be the tougher of the two, in that the shank of the Hellrazor had two failures where it bent just behind the blades upon impact.

The G5's I used were the SS version, and I found them to be a bit of a pain to resharpen. THe thing I DID find however was that even though they didn't feel sharp like a knife blade or straight razor, the wider angle on them they were actually quite sharp and held the edge fair. There are a couple of fine step by step sharpening tutorials that I found which helped to bring the edges up to a more razor like edge. One is to sharpen it like a Woodsman, and there is an excellent video by Three Rivers Archery on Youtube. After following their procedure I followed up with a couple of diamond hones of finer grit to bring them up to the razor type edge.

The only issues I had with this type head, was I heard a slight whistle or hiss when shot. Not that this made much difference on the hogs I used them on, but it was noticeable. I also found they didn't quite tune as easily for what ever reason with my field points. I used every tried and true method of tuning and had several other heads which shot point on, but these seemed to have their own idea of where they wanted to group.

I eventually switched to the Razor Trick and haven't looked back. this isn't to say they won't work well for you, just I was looking for one type head that would work equally well across three different bows, arrow spine weights, and draw weights.

Good luck

I used them when they first came out and they shot great, I would shoot them out to 100 yards and they would group with my field points without any adjustments. There are 2 reasons why I no longer shoot them though reason one I really like the hole a 4 blade broadhead leaves (which is just personal prefrence but they seem to leave alot bigger holes) and reason 2 I hate trying to sharpen broadheads, I don't think I ever got them as sharp as they where after I would shoot them thru an animal or miss, its alot easier to just throw new blades on.

The last 2 years I've been using slik tricks and they fly awesome! And I shoot every head I hunt with so I know they all fly true and after I test them all I throw a new set of blades on and im good to go, I've shot a deer, 2 elk and an antelope and sadly missed a nice deer last week with the same head just put new blades on after each animal and the miss and it is still straight and the first arrow in my quiver right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.