Future Short Action Rem Project

blackco

OK folks, I would like your input and suggestions.
My current go-to hunting gun is a basically stock rem 700 in 6mmRem and I absolutly love it. In fact I have loved it almost to death. It still holds .75 groups at 100 yards so it has some life left. I was considering having it made to an AI but when my smith took a look at it and it had too much throat erotion to make it worth doing.

So here's my dilema...when I'm done driving this barrel into the ground, what do I make this into? My daughter shoots a 6mmrem so convenience is a small consideration (very small). I want a caliber that I can continue shooting everything from paper and rocks to gophers to deer. The barrel conture will be at or near stock sporter weight. I have a 22-250AI so that slot if filled. I'm thinking something from .243 to <.308 caliber. I don't want a real barrel burner but I also don't shoot any one gun enough for it to be a big problem.

So let me know what your opinions are. I will consider them all but may or may not accept any, just looking for ideas and there is no better pool of knowledge than right here.

Think about a 6mmBRX or Dasher

The 6mmBRX and Dasher will out shoot the 243 and 6mm in accuracy and have 3 times the barrel life. They only sacrifice about 100fps and that will take the 95 thru 108 grain bullets above the accuracy node anyway. Why shoot a rifle that will burn itself out in 900-1400 rounds when you can shoot a rifle that will shoot a true 3000 rounds with deadly accuracy.

Rustystud

I love my 260 , not even the improved version , 2800+fps with a 140gr Berger out of a 27" Lilja barrel , shooting in the low.3" at 200yds. Balisticaly it kicks the hell out of my beloved 308 win with 175gr Sierra Match King , and hits ALOT harder than this load at 1000yds !! the recoil is near zero with the brake , barrel life should be at least 2000 rounds A great selection of bullets , great brass from Lapua in either 308 necked down or 243 encked up , feeds very well from the mag.

I'm building a M-7 next specificaly for shooting 115gr VLD bullets , its either gonna be a 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua or 243 Ackley.

6/6.5x47 would be my choice. 6BR accuracy, easy to form cases, (just neck down 6.5x47 lapuas and shoot) good barrel life and you can run 105s around 3k which is right were they outta be for accuracy IMO.
Next on my list would be the 243 or 243AI. To be honest I would probably just go 243. I have the AI and do not really see any gains....but it is cool looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts