Future proofing a 264 build?

Ckleeves

I'm about to order a barrel for a 264 WM build , and I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on twist rate. Has anybody seen any info on what twist the mythical 156 Berger is going to require? I live and hunt mostly above 6k feet but do hunt Arizona and Idaho occasionally.
Should I just go with a 8 twist or try and predict what's coming in the next few years and go with a 7.5? Thanks in advance.

I'm about to order a barrel for a 264 WM build , and I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on twist rate. Has anybody seen any info on what twist the mythical 156 Berger is going to require? I live and hunt mostly above 6k feet but do hunt Arizona and Idaho occasionally.
Should I just go with a 8 twist or try and predict what's coming in the next few years and go with a 7.5? Thanks in advance.
I'd go 7.5 and then you can shoot anything.

Of those two, my choice would be the 7.5. I just purchased 3 new 7" twist 6.5mm barrels.

when the test bullets came out I checked on bergers twist rate calculator it recommended 7.5 at 2950 fps at sea level. I would stick with 7.5

I would suggest a 7 twist, Sierra suggests a 7.5 or faster for the 150 SMK. The 160g Matrix suggests an 8 or faster. Nobody knows what the Berger 6.5 heavy will need, if they ever actually manufacture it. You would be covered regardless of which heavy you'd choose and whatever they need for twist.

The 7.5 twist gives a little cushion if it is not really 7.5. I ordered an 8" and it would not stabilize a bullet I wanted to use. I ran a tight patch and discovered it was at least 8 1/4" and maybe more.

I am re-barreling soon, already have my Bartlein blanks in process. I ordered 1 with a 7" and 2 with 7.5".
I can predict that the 140/142gr weight is not going to be surpassed by a 150/156gr bullet unless you get the muzzle velocity above 3000fps.
My barrels won't at finished lengths of 30-31".
I'd need something a lot bigger than my 264WM I feel.
Maybe a 6.5-300 Weatherby could do it easily?

Cheers.

Love the old 264WM. Wish to build a 264 Thor in the near future.
Pictured is the current M54 Schultz in 6.5x47

Attachments

• schultz 002.JPG
    schultz 002.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 120
I am re-barreling soon, already have my Bartlein blanks in process. I ordered 1 with a 7" and 2 with 7.5".
I can predict that the 140/142gr weight is not going to be surpassed by a 150/156gr bullet unless you get the muzzle velocity above 3000fps.

Cheers.

Often is the case with any bullet/bc argument when the constraint is the cartridge potential energy. BC and weight help in the wind pretty early in the flight path, drop and energy usually balance out further out there.

That said I've been impressed with what Sierra has done with their new offerings the last few years.

Cheers.
6.5SS will push a 150 SMK @ 3117fps easily in my 25.75" 1:8" Bartlein over H1000. It will run them over 3160 w. RL26, but best accuracy, and consistency was at 3117fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.