Furlough again ...

It's official! I worked for 4 hours this AM, did my time card for the pay period, signed my furlough notification (1-30 Oct) and off I went.

In my squadron, the civilians are in good spirit, however, the military are not. :D

Sorry to hear that man. We had a couple civilian employees and a hand full of technicians that did the same today. Our S-1 (personnel) told us that all active duty soldiers should still be paid, then our Command Sergeant Major said not to count on it. Not knowing sucks, have to wait till the 15th to find out.

It's not a tough stand, it's a stand against a bloated government that wastes our tax payer money every single day.

I say shut it all down, I'm sick of our corrupt government and government workers who cry like babies when they have a shutdown. Us people in the private sector have to deal with lay-offs all the time.

Never mind, I deleted this post.

Last edited:
Your kidding, right?

If you are a government worker you'll get paid whether you work or not.

Well you are wrong on this!

It's not a tough stand, it's a stand against a bloated government that wastes our tax payer money every single day.

I say shut it all down, I'm sick of our corrupt government and government workers who cry like babies when they have a shutdown. Us people in the private sector have to deal with lay-offs all the time.

There are people like myself who protect you daily and will continue to do so! I hope you sleep well at night knowing your safe!

It's official! I worked for 4 hours this AM, did my time card for the pay period, signed my furlough notification (1-30 Oct) and off I went.

In my squadron, the civilians are in good spirit, however, the military are not. :D

That's a bummer Ed, it sucks. I know me and family menbers have had the rug pulled out from under us on more than one occasion. One lesson I learned is that there are no guarantees in life. I can tell ya, I've learned to have a hole card ready to go in case I needed it and I have needed it several times. I know that a military pension doesn't get you very far and due to divorce related crap, I separated at 18 years because it wasn't worth staying in for personal reasons.

My uncle worked for Bethlehem Steel for not sure how many years, but the local thinking was it was as sure a job as there was and then almost overnight, several months, they were liquidated. He lost his pension and had to go find work for less than half the pay he was getting with Bethlehem.

Hang in there and whatever skills you have, put them to good use. In today's world I would say you are a valuable asset in the right place. No doubt this "governmental adjustment" will soon pass, but I fear this will be a common occurrence in the future as we have a runaway budget. I would plan accordingly.

In the mean time... good shooting :)

I am tempted to say..."who asked you?"

But I'll engage...

I have been a government worker, USAF, and i figured I earned my pay. I didn't think I was under paid, but I felt I earned my pay, and once when I was overseas during a deployment, the Congress actually did shut down the government for a short period of time, while my at the time wife with our children had to pay bills and buy food.

I agree that government spending is out of control but there are real people with everyday needs that are being affected by this. Best to keep your cry baby rhetoric to your self.

SNIP.

I don't understand you comment aboiut paying a penalty on 401K withdrawls prior to 591/2. I took mine and my company pension at 56 with no penalty whatsoever. I did reinvest it and I do draw on it monthly. If you take a lump sum payout, there are Federal guidelines and a penalty but nothing for a graduated withdrawl. Thats done for a reason and that reason is, the government don't want you to blow the money and be peniless and wind up on public assistance.

SNIP.

IRA Early Withdrawal Penalty

"An IRA early withdrawal penalty is assessed on IRA withdrawals taken before you reach age 59 ½.

How does the IRA early withdrawal penalty work? Here's an example:

Suppose you are age 54 and you take $10,000 from your traditional IRA.

The $10,000 shows up as income on the first page of your tax return.
This income is included along with all other sources of income to determine the total amount of tax owed for the year.
The amount of tax owed on the $10,000 will depend on your income tax rate, which is determined by your total income and deductions.
In addition to tax on the $10,000 early withdrawal, a 10% penalty tax is assessed on the withdrawal.
In this scenario that would be an additional $1,000 of tax owed in addition to your ordinary income taxes."

edge.

Is it just me or am I the only one who has thought of keeping and fully paying the military. You know the ones that keep use safe for not a great wage. Why dont we try not paying congress, DEQ agents, and other ******** employees like Mrs. Lerhner for the IRS these people have sucked us dry long enough. Then there is welfare, I live in Michigan and can tell you nothing ****es me off more than welfare it has become a way of life hear. I watch daily ebt cards get used for everything and anything. Go back to the original six months. This is America and everyone could find a job it may not be the one u want but a job. Hell get Detroit off welfare that will fund the government for awhile

Is it just me or am I the only one who has thought of keeping and fully paying the military.

SNIP.

Paying active military was passed by both houses, not sure if Oblammer signed it...but I assume that he did or will.

edge.

Thanks guys, I will be OK! I'm hopeful that it won't last that long but I have friends and acquaintances that are not quite prepared for the situation.

This gives me an opportunity to catch up on my honey-do list that my wife re-prioritized as "pre-hunting season honey-do list". :D

I am tempted to say..."who asked you?"

But I'll engage...

I have been a government worker, USAF, and i figured I earned my pay. I didn't think I was under paid, but I felt I earned my pay, and once when I was overseas during a deployment, the Congress actually did shut down the government for a short period of time, while my at the time wife with our children had to pay bills and buy food.

I agree that government spending is out of control but there are real people with everyday needs that are being affected by this. Best to keep your cry baby rhetoric to your self.

I'll engage as well.

Everybody believes they've earned their money. That's why we don't do our own evaluations. Generally, because military can't walk away and seek other opportunities, they should always be exempted from such things. That said, the very fact that you can shut down major portions of government is stark evidence of the unnecessary bloat. Generally, furloughs don't exist in the private sector because layoffs are whats needed. Well run companies seldom layoff large blocks of people because they are acutely aware of unnecessary labor expense and trim it off immediately, before it's out of control. Where's the outrage for the Walmart employee who used to work 38 hours a week and is now down to 20? Those affected by this thing only get a taste of everybody elses reality and they're screaming like banshees while Congress sits around and accomplishes nothing beyond grandstanding and then pillaging the bank accounts of the populace. Other than being subjected to some bad daytime T.V. and a few days of lost wages, most will carry on with their dysfunctional place in society after the debt ceiling is increased.

If anyone's wondering "who asked me"? I don't need to be asked. As long as I'm paying the freight (more like being robbed), I'll just express my opinion at will until that's illegal too.

I'll engage as well.

Everybody believes they've earned their money. That's why we don't do our own evaluations. Generally, because military can't walk away and seek other opportunities, they should always be exempted from such things. That said, the very fact that you can shut down major portions of government is stark evidence of the unnecessary bloat. Generally, furloughs don't exist in the private sector because layoffs are whats needed. Well run companies seldom layoff large blocks of people because they are acutely aware of unnecessary labor expense and trim it off immediately, before it's out of control. Where's the outrage for the Walmart employee who used to work 38 hours a week and is now down to 20? Those affected by this thing only get a taste of everybody elses reality and they're screaming like banshees while Congress sits around and accomplishes nothing beyond grandstanding and then pillaging the bank accounts of the populace. Other than being subjected to some bad daytime T.V. and a few days of lost wages, most will carry on with their dysfunctional place in society after the debt ceiling is increased.

If anyone's wondering "who asked me"? I don't need to be asked. As long as I'm paying the freight (more like being robbed), I'll just express my opinion at will until that's illegal too.

I'll express my opinion also. I've already said that govt spending is out of control and as far as I'm concerned so are our law and budget makers. but let's stay focused on that and not get sidetracked by calling people who feel the pain of mismanagement "cry babies". And... I and other family and friends have also felt the pain in the private sector.

One group I have no sympathy for are the Union workers who make outrageous demands while at the same time invent ways to be less productive. I'm not talking about ALL union workers. But I am talking about many who are making US industries less competitive. I blame them for the loss of the American steel industry back around 1980. I also blame them for the bail outs of the auto makers which IMO, should never have happened. When a small business goes under, they don't get bailed out.

Wasteful spending!!!

New Year

"A Harvard study found that from 2004 to 2009, 16.5 percent of all spending occurred in the last month of the year and 8.7 percent in the last week. Money spent on consistent needs such as office equipment and information technology is more or less well spent, but splurging on not-well-thought-out wants, such as conferences and things to hang on the wall, never is.
Big beneficiaries of these fire sales are defense contractors who up the pizza orders and settle in for all-nighters to accommodate the last-minute flurry of Pentagon buying. The government spent 8.5 percent of its annual budget for contracts during the last week of the last three fiscal years, according to Public Notice."

edge.

I spent 10 years in the military, I have seen first hand "civilian employees" doing noting at all, every day, all day and getting paid. It happens out here to, my wife's job is union (police) its different, you have some that work and some that don't, but due to this crap called "the thin blue line" getting rid of them is next to impossible! On the other side of the coin is labor unions which I feel get a bad rap from the automotive and state unions. If I don't work it happens very fast they "get your money", which is a misnomer in itself as it take up to 2 weeks to get paid sometimes.

A typical work week for me is 40 hours, if it doesn't rain in which case, I get 2 hours show up time and unless I agree to work in the down poor I go home. If it starts raining mid day and its not safe to work I go home, if the steel is covered in ice I go home, if there is nothing for me to do I go home. I had to swear an oath to work my *** off every day, essentially working myself out of a job and we are all trained from the start of our apprenticeships to live off of unemployment 365$ a week, anything over that you save to pay your bills.

I spent 10 years in the military, I have seen first hand "civilian employees" doing noting at all, every day, all day and getting paid.

I spent 20+ years in the USAF, retired in 2007, and has been with the civil service since then.

It was never my intention to make this political in nature, otherwise, I would posted it accordingly.

As a management analyst, I quantify requirements as part of my core competencies. It is up to leadership to find the right manpower mix --- military, civilians, and contract manpower equivalents (unless it's inherently governmental) to meet the mission requirements in accordance with the applicable Air Force Manpower Standards and Air Force Instructions, and other directives by higher headquarters, unless the function is military essential only.

If those civilians are getting paid for doing nothing, somebody is not doing their job and not being accounted for. Why they are not gainfully employed and paid is beyond me. It is the responsibility of leadership to provide opportunity (work), and the responsibility of individuals to contribute (work). Simply no accountability at that level not to mention integrity! :(

One thing I learned since 1996 when I retrained to do my current job and it still holds true today is that ...

When faced with a 20-year threat, the
government responds with a 15-year plan,
in a 6-year defense program, managed by
3-year personnel, attempting to develop a
2-year budget, which in reality is funded
by a 1-year appropriation (which is
typically 1 to 6 months late), actually
formulated over a 3-day weekend and
approved in a 1-hour decision briefing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.