Fur with no holes

7MilMauser

I need a good fur friendly bullet for the 223. My rifle likes them between 50- 55 grains. I have used hornady A-maxes with good luck but they are really hard to find where I live. the sierrs matchkings make a pretty large exit hole at 223 velocities. Any help would be great.

I use cheap rem or win 55 grain soft points in my v-match 16 at 2900 fps and the exit holes are usually always less than 1/2 inch.

thanks Coyboy. I do perfer to load my own ammo, so unless there is no other options besides full metal jackets (I won't use them) I will continue my search. Does anyone have expierence with Sierra Blitz or Blitzking bullets?

The best load I tried in my .22-250 was adapted from a .223 load. If your rifle will shoot them, use the 60 grain V-max. No splashes and generally no exit. They weren't the most accurate in my rifle but they were accurate enough and way more fur friendly than anything else I tried. Good luck.

Tim
No Off Season
"No crowds, no limits,noseasons...no bad days."

thanks Coyboy. I do perfer to load my own ammo, so unless there is no other options besides full metal jackets (I won't use them) I will continue my search. Does anyone have expierence with Sierra Blitz or Blitzking bullets?

I handload these 55 grain SP. The point is they don't explode, they anchor coyotes, never splash, and shoot moa. I have shot over 100 coyotes with that load and in that gun. I used to have the occasional splash on a shoulder and the mutt runs off with b-tiped bullets, not anymore.

I have never liked an exploding bullet on coyotes, they have lost animals, and 8 years of using the 55 gr sp have proven them selves.

55sp by win rem or hornady are available to Handloaders and when on sail can be had for less than $8 per 100

I have had great success with both the Hornady 50 and 55 grain SX. Drops them like a hammer hit them and most time no exit. They shoot good in a .223 with W-748, H-4895, Tac, BLC-2, and even Varget.

Full metal jackets are not legal for hunting in NC and many other states. They to pose a ricochet factor that is not acceptable in more urban areas. I have also seen animals run off with no bloodtrail shot with full metal jacketed bullets.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
For pelt quality and least amount of damage we all use Full metal jackets, have used them for years on trap line and calling them.

I went to the 17 Remington but the best bullet I ever found for minimal pelt damage from the 223 or 22-250 was the Sierra 55gr. GameKing bullet I think the number is 1365, no I know that is the Sierra number! the bonus for me is they work well on deer also. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts