funny close calls with yotes

brushcountry101

Just last weekend i was hunting about 75 miles north west of Corpus Christi texas at a friends ranch,( he who had never pourposly hunted yotes)out near goilad. we were having trouble finding a spot to put the wind and feild of view in our favor but finally got a little set up worked out to our addvantage. i was butted up to a big oak tree and my buddy just to my right about ten yard away. Not 10 miutes into the session i heard foot stepps coming up behind us and they were comming fast. these dogs were on a mission, well i new i didnt have time to throw my rifle up so i decided to make the best of the situation. when the first one past just to my right at about two and a half yards, i growled and barked at him while i charged him on my hands and knees. and when i did, the **** thing jumped right into my buddies lap. he came un freakin glued. he cussed me for 30 minutes while i laughed my *** off till i couldnt breath no more. needless to say i got him hooked on coyote hunting and now he want to know when we can go again. i wish i could have filmed that.

LETS HEAR'EM IF YOU GOTT'EM

If you could look into a crystal ball and see whether or not anybody has ever chased a coyote on their hands and knees during a set -i'd bet that it never even crossed someones mind !That's funny..

I read about a couple of guys hunting coyotes -the guy telling the story said a coyote came running in from behind and when his long-haired buddy was turning around to see the coyote -it dove through the air and bit his pony-tail sticking through the back of his hat.He supposedly screamed like a little girl.

Is it hard to find places to hunt coyotes in tx. ?

as far as finding places to hunt, i guess its just like anywhere else. i personaly have some friends in the area that are farmers so its not hard at all. and my family also own a ranch out near laredo, but thats two and a half hours away. there is some public property around rivera but iv never hunted it. i will probly be looking into it pretty soon just to mix it up alittle.

I had an entire pack of coyotes come within feet of me when I was bowhunting deer about 10 years ago. Head to toe in Camo so they didn't see me. I wasn't moving because the deer were coming in spite of the yotes. Once the deer buggered off I kicked one of the coyotes in the gut really hard. The rest of em jumped back about 10 feet and started barking at me. Thought they would attack so I chased em all to the field. Funniest thing ever. Hunter buddy saw it all too as he was up a treestand about 20 yards off.

When my sons were about 8 yrs old we were out on a rabbit hunt one day and spotted 2 coyotes out in a hay meadow about 400 yds away. I got the boys settled down at the edge of the sage brush in front of me and started squealing on a predator call. The coyotes broke into a run coming right at us, seemingly trying to be the first to get there. As they got up to the edge of he sagebrush they stopped and one of the dogs stood up on its hind legs and was hopping around looking over into the sage, and growling like crazy. He was only about ten feet in front of one of the boys, but the growling un-nerved him so he missed the shot! I could see him jerk the trigger on his 22 and nearly shot into the ground. The look on his face was priceless! Of course the dogs got plumb away , but we laugh about "the dancing dog" to this day.
I have had several close calls when calling, thats why i like to have someone with a shotgun along when calling in thick stuff.

Another little aside......My good friend Tim had borrowed a electronic caller from me once and took his son out hunting. The were set up and calling and looked up to see a 150 lb mtn lion crouched behind a log about 40 ft away! They stood up and backed away slowly and the lion followed them for 50 yds or so.....pretty scary for them. They didnt have a lion tag. I think i would of plugged him, tag or no tag .AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.