Fun with the elk rifle

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by COBrad, Aug 25, 2012.

1. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

I shoot an elk or two every year... well, most years, so I shoot a lot of paper, distant rocks, and especially varmints with my big game rifles to stay sharp. My idea of a great elk rifle is something of a decent weight to carry, and varmint rifle accuracy. My current #1 is about 8lb scoped and ready to go. It is an Allen Precision 270 WSM. Stiller action, Satern barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners stock, Talley bases and rings, and a 2.5-10 Nightforce. I am shooting 140 gr Berger hunting VLD's at a chronoed 3080 fps. The G7 ballistic software I am using corrected the velocity to 3170 to match the actual drops in the field. This is programmed into a G7 BR2 rangefinder, which is giving me spot on ballistic solutions.
    Annny way... aside from all the crowing about my new baby, here is a pic of a first shot, cold barrel marmot taken last week at 592 yards.
    I was out with a friend today scouting for 1K+ marmots with my long range rifle, when I happened to spy one out at 354 yards. Just for fun I ranged and shot with the .270. Another first shot, cold barrel marmot gave up the ghost. This little rifle is just too much fun!

Attached Files:

2. submoa

submoa Well-Known Member

nice i love lighter weight rifles there just a joy to pack a long hunts

3. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

That does look fun!

4. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Nice little rifle.. I'm sure not an inexpensive one. :D

Great shooting.

5. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Not inexpensive... but I found it NIB at a price that I was not about to pass up. I was going to have Quarter Minute Magnums build me another rifle, a light 6.5-284. I found this at a grand less than what I would have expected to pay had I commissioned a new build. It was almost like getting the NF scope free!
    Before I bought it I spoke with Kirby Allen, and couldn't believe when he offered that if it didn't shoot to his half-moa standard, he would stand behind the rifle even though I bought it from the guy he built it for.
    Between the way this gun shoots and Mr. Allen's great offer of customer service, I would not hesitate to order another from him.

6. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Just doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks for sharing that info. Way to go!

7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

You know if you sneak around and ask people about Kirby quietly you'll find that's pretty common... .:cool:

He's well known for going above and beyond.

Congrats on the new rifle and the results.