full length sizing die

rdwllce

the chamber on my rifle was cut on the minimum specs, my once fired brass requires full length sizing through rcbs die and then running it through a 3006 die with the decapper removed to get the wall knocked back in enough to chamber.virgin brass works like a dream but I dont seem to be able to get my once fired brass back down to that size. What kind of dies are availeable.any help is appreciated

You are in need of a small-base die. Standard dies accommodate generous, factory chambers. The small-base die is cut to minimum SAAMI spec. Redding has them in body, FL, and bushing FL configurations, but in limited chamberings.

Last edited:
Perhaps 95% of such problems are due to not screwing the size die down quite far enough. We MUST set the shoulder back far enough to allow chambering. Turn your FL sizer down another 1/16 turn and try it again.

It's doubtful that the expander plug, in or out, is any part of your problem.

b'tube,

As I read this post, the OP is using a 30-06 FL die to shrink the body of a 308W-based case. We don't know the actual caliber.

The case is a 7mm08 the sizing die is run down till the shellholder touches the die and screwed an additional 3/16 of a turn I am having to cam the lever over to complete the stroke. The press is a rockchucker.the dies are rcbs.

I have been educated by an upstanding gentleman, I have been using hornady 1 shot spray lube on my cases( and I overlubed some one time and was educated about too much lube)And I have been using it sparingly,I havent been getting enough lube in the neck.My poor judgement has been brought to light and has been corrected , Thank ya'll very much

"b'tube, As I read this post, the OP is using a 30-06 FL die to shrink the body of a 308W-based case. We don't know the actual caliber."

Win, seems you are right, my bad. This one is part of the last 5%.

We told about the gun, the caliber of the second die, the brand of the dies and the brand of the press. Since only 30-06 was mentioned I assumed that was the correct cartridge. Brands and die turns aside, we really needed to know the original cartridge in order to figger it out! You did good to see through all that. ???

It's small base die time.

Last edited:
It's small base die time.
I'm flattered.

Since I appear to be on a roll, I'll risk it all and mention a caveat regarding over-camming. Once the shellholder and die are in solid contact, no additional force applied will accomplish anything. The die won't compress, the press is flexing, and the whole process is being tortured. The same does not apply for seating and sizing when there is not lockup. Going over-center then will assure that all slack is removed from the links and consistency is achieved. Saw a picture a couple of years ago of a Lyman press in three pieces.

Am I reading correctly that you solved your situation with case lube?

Last edited:
Yes sir , Lubing from one extreme to the other.I was putting my headspace back into my hull by not lubing the inside of the neck enough. I guess Im a real idiot here.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.