Full length or only neck

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by joel0407, Feb 28, 2009.

1. joel0407

joel0407 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Quote [​IMG]Modify
    I am still waiting on a RCBS 3 die set to come in here in Australia. I found a Redding type-S Full Length bushing die + comp Seating die set.

I have always only neck sized in the 270win but some are suggesting I full length resize with the 300rum. The Redding set is also a bushing die which is another advantage.

I have had the rifle for 2 weeks now and still cant use it

2. Supertrucker

Supertrucker Well-Known Member

I neck size everything and have never had a problem. Just be sure to neck size the whole neck.

3. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

When I neck size, I almost never size the entire neck, as the un-resized portion centers the cartridge perfectly in the chamber. I usually leave 1/10" un-resized.

AJ

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

get the FL die and never look back. personally i will never get another RCBS die. have heard many people having serious trouble with them and i have had 2 that wouldn't size brass correctly.
    my personal opinion is that production barrels might see an improvement in accuracy with neck sizing. the tolerances in the neck and throat areas are greater and a tighter fitting cartridge with the bullet touching the rifling generally helps accuracy because things are lined up straighter. with a good barrel and chamber my personal rifles shoot better with FL sized brass and bullets away from the lands.

5. 3006savage

3006savage Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend the Lee Collet Dies for neck resizing. It controls run out better than full length dies and I feel it is easier on brass also.

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Got to agree with dave.

You run magnum cartridges at top end (which a lot do here) and only neck size you are going to get the shoulders moving forward and hard chambering soon. Cases will expand at the base and the shoulder. Be prepared to size that or throw them away. Better check each loaded cartridge and see if it will chamber, if you neck size only before you go afield or you might get a surprise.

Neck sizing does zero to fix that, only bumping the shoulder back with a FL or body die.

A correctly fitting and properly adjusted FL die saves cases so no advantage to NS only, but lot of disadvantages.

At least FL size every 2-3x.

BH

7. joel0407

joel0407 Well-Known Member

I have alway only neck sized for better accuracy.

8. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009