Full lenght die in to a Neck sizing die

You can use it so that it doesn't bump the shoulder. As a practical matter, No. Re-machining a hardened die isn't worth the effort. I am not an advocate of Lee products because of their quality, but, if you want to neck size, you might try their collet die. It's very popular and works well if it works; it might require some hand finishing to produce a nicely finished casing.

Sure. How practical it is depends a lot on the cartridge/die.

Cases with signficant taper are pretty easy, straighter wall cases, such as the various short magnums, aren't. All you really want is a FL good die modified so it does NOT touch the case body. I've purchased some used dies cheap specifically as "donors" for that purpose.

Standard FL Dies for cases with a LOT of body taper, such as the .30-30, can easily be used to neck size by simply screwing the die up a full thread or so, no modification needed. (There is no need to size ALL of the neck!)

FL Dies for cases with a .473" head, those such as the 22-250, .243, 30-06, etc., can easily be bored with a cheap 1/2" concrete type carbide bit. I feel it's best to do the drilling on a lathe but a sturdy drill press will work if you are careful. Stop drilling at the shoulder junction, if you don't change that you can still use the die to bump the shoulders a tad if you wish. Other calibers can be drilled with proper sized bits.

You can also bore out the necks from FL dies and make your own "body" dies to be used with Lee's excellant Collet Neck Sizers if you wish. Getting the right size drill bit is a bit more difficult, it takes some grinding and turning on concrete bits that are usually too large.

You MUST use carbide bits to do this, HSS drills will NOT cut case hardened sizer die walls.

Last edited:
i have a lee full lenght sizer and i need to get a new decapper and thought i could get a neck sizing decapper insted of a full lenght could i do this

thank
nate

Lee decapper rods for FL and neck dies are not interchangeable, if that's what you mean.

??? What DO you mean?
His decapper rod is slightly bent for his 270 fl die (makeing reloading a liveing hell) and he wants a new decapper rod and to turn his fl die into a neck die. Almost every time we tried to resize his 270 the decapper rod would get stuck in the case and start to pull out of the die. Hope that helps

I guess i missed the why for this discussion.

I assume you already have a FL die to modify. Certainly the time/money it would take to "modify" your FL die would be justification alone to order what you want in a neck sizer and have both types of dies, which you will likely need anyway...

I am missing some info I guess...

I guess i missed the why for this discussion.

I assume you already have a FL die to modify. Certainly the time/money it would take to "modify" your FL die would be justification alone to order what you want in a neck sizer and have both types of dies, which you will likely need anyway...

I am missing some info I guess...
Thats what ive been trying to tell him!!

like zack said my decapper rod is slightly bent and i was think i could put a neck sizing decapper insted of a full lenght decapper
His decapper rod is slightly bent for his 270 fl die (makeing reloading a liveing hell) and he wants a new decapper rod and to turn his fl die into a neck die. Almost every time we tried to resize his 270 the decapper rod would get stuck in the case and start to pull out of the die. Hope that helps

now does that clear up most of it

then I stand by boomtube where:

"Lee decapper rods for FL and neck dies are not interchangeable, if that's what you mean

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.