frustrated

model 12 toby

I got a coyote bout 3 months ago. first one i ever shot. missed another last summer. I'll be honest I am still very in the dark about all aspects of it. It's very frustrating. My time to go is very limited I don't wish to even hunt them at night. They seem just as illusive as when i started hunting them. I feel like I just more or less troll for them. Im to the point I don't even know where to turn anymore. I have my range pretty far out there now. we shoot 600 and beyond every other sunday. the wind is definitely the factor. I try to call places where I can overlook huge expanses of land. It's so hard to beleive that you can't see something out there. I mean something. lol. I don't know whether they see me. I make too noise or don't call them right or what? I've heard people say they call less and glass more as they get older. Shows I watch they have that thing going non stop. I don't know. I just needed to vent and hope to get some feed back. by the way I live in eastern ohio. I'll probably head out again frinday morning and get no sleep again.

I've felt the same way before. Stick with it! A couple ideas that came to mind while reading your post are to sit still longer than you think. I don't know how long your typical set is but the majority of the dogs I've called came in between 22-25min. I hear people saying that if they don't come in the first 15 min they aren't coming, but that has not been my experience at all.
Also, I hunt wide open areas too and many times when I thought I could see every bit of ground within 500yds I have had one pop up at less than 100 and had no idea that was even possible, point being that coyotes know how to use minimal cover and blend in well, it's easier than you think to look them over. It took me almost 3 years of calling and failing before I dropped my first coyote, but you learn from the unsuccessful hunts and with some patience and sheer effort you'll get there! It's the challenge that makes it rewarding, cause the meat's not real great:D
Oh yeah I also though I'd mention that I see way more dogs out the morning after a big storm clears, especially if that storm has lasted several days. So if you ever have a day off when the weather clears, try to get out there!

I troll for coyotes all the time and shoot them off the hood of my truck,coyotes need a food sourse easier the better,cattle yards,chicken farms,pig barns,always something dead near there,get permission to set up near there,I have shot 57 by trolling passed these places some over 400yds.I hunt them when there is snow cover,I have never called them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.