Front sight, rear sight question.

4ked Horn

Heres the problem:
I have a mini 14 with the standard rear peep and an Eagle brand HK style front sight. In order to 0 my varmint loads at 200 yards I have the elevation cranked almost all the way up. (The gun has always been like this) If I want to adjust the sight for my plinker loads I won't have the required adjustment range. The sight adjustment screw will come out.

Heres the solution as I see it:
I have already replaced the rear sight with one that has a higher than normal peep hole. I have filed a wee little bit off the top of the post in the HK style front sight but I don't want to file the post any more. I want it to be near the center of the globe (ring around the post) Soe her is what I'm thinking. The globe assembly mounts to the flash supressor with screws that go through a rectangular base. I will file or mill the base of the globe so the whole globe (and post)sit lower on the flash supressor. This will allow me to lower the rear peep accordingly to readjust for 0 and it will give me my up adgustment range back.

Now here is the question:
Since the line of sight through the rear peep and over the front post is a straight line Then if I lower the front sight 1/16 of an inch I would gain back 1/16 of an inch of adjustment. Right?

I believe this is the right answer and I'm mostly looking for confirmation and for one of the local Smiths to let me know if I'm going to screw something up that I'm just not seeing.

Now here is the question:
Since the line of sight through the rear peep and over the front post is a straight line Then if I lower the front sight 1/16 of an inch I would gain back 1/16 of an inch of adjustment. Right?

4ked Horn, Yes your above statment makes perfect sense
By lowering the front sight you would also lower the back sight to get the same point of impact. But you already knew that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
e

Well allrighty then. Here we go, full steam ahead. I'm going to get some of my elevation back and I ain't saying please neither.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts