From yotes to goats

Ernie

SPONSOR
I had some time and headed out to chase a goat on Wednesday.
Feels good to be feeling better and consistently improving.
Grabbed the 308 Win Remington 40XB Tactical since it has hardened drops and it is soon to go "bye bye." It is sold, but the money hasn't arrived yet...so why not shoot the few remaining rounds I have???
Found a decent herd with multiple bucks in a very short time. Made a round-about stalk, so I could have a good shooting platform and not get winded.
The herd was strung out and moving after I got settled in prone. Some does ended up being spooked by a large commercial truck. Distances were under 300 yards and the wind was not an issue. They ended up crossing and I expected the bucks to follow, which would have made for a a easy broadside shot. Wrong! They decided to go their own way which kept several large trees between me and them. I had to move quickly to the left and set up again where I had decided they would come into the open and they changed their direction slightly again, making a shot impossible except through openings in the trees.
This happened fairly quick. I decided to thread the needle, really focusing on my bullet path.
I would have to make an intentional shot with little time.
I had already lasered the distances where I was at first and had a good idea of the distance and had it dialed in. Took the shot-didn't hear meat report, and the animal took off to my right and disappeared behind a small ridge. I never saw him pop out with the other bucks. So, I headed up to the next ridge and peeked over and glassed the area where the heard was still strewn out and I didn't see him. Just had to make sure. Then I went to approximately where he was when I shot and moved to the right and found him down about 40 yards.
Fun stalk and a somewhat challenging shot with the time limit and the trees.
Nice buck for the area.

Congratulations Ernie! Nice goat and rifle. I have been pondering a rifle build about like what you have in 284. There are a group of guys around here that shoot in southern Ok about once a month out to 1000 yds for play and some compete. I sold one of the guys a contender I had extra and got to make a trip with him and shoot one of his rifles. What a rush.
Hope you are well and back to shooting a lot.
Miss hunting Wyoming but work has gotten in the way the last two years. We are building so many power lines for the wind power I'm on the road all the time.
My buddy John, the one you helped get his first goat, sure wants to make another trip up there since he retired this year.
Take care and keep posting. Your posts are the ones I look for first when I open some of the web sites. :)

Mike

Hope this cold that set in last week, does not affect them too much.

I've been worried about that too. I drove up to Elk Creek on 59N last night, across Elk Creek to Recluse & back on 14-16. The numbers are still looking good thankfully & I have my fingers that the cold streak is coming to an end.

t

Ernie,

Sorry to trouble you, the remington tactical pictured with you: does that have the original Hogue stock on it? if so how much of the gun there is factory original and what have you upgraded? I appreciate the information. I have one as well, thus making me curious to how it performed for you especially if it has the original stock.
Thanks,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.