Freebore Discussion

Like many have stated, having to run an action as a SS due to mag restrictions is just plain foolish. If you want to run them that way for other reasons, that's a different scenario.

The 300wsm will definitely benefit from a little extra length. At SAAMI length even a lot of 180's are shoe horned in there. If you're going to twist it for 212-220's or heavier copper offereings, you're going to want more length. As some have already stated, having extra freebore doesn't make it a foregone conclusion that accuracy will suffer with lighter and/or shorter loads.

Or go 6.5 PRC or 6.8 W - they're RTG for heavies at SAAMI spec.

Tikkas love short mag cartridges. Plenty of COAL to run them however you want.

So if velocity drops as a barrel wears, do u increase powder to bring it back up to the original velocity node? And if so, doesn't that mean u should retest the original seating depth? I'm not saying chase the lands, just if powder changes, seating depth changes, harmonics.

When I measure distance to the lands using a Hornady gauge in a Weatherby chamber, and I am gentling tapping the projectile forward, it stops at the beginning of the freebore. If I tap a smidge harder, it keeps moving forward towards the lands.

This gives me a pretty good read point on the distance to the freebore and the delta distance to the lands (which is not precisely the same as the length of the freebore).

It also gives me a really good feel for how much wiggle room that freebore allows the projectile to lose concentricity with the chamber/barrel (it is really, really tight).

I agree with Ray....either you have some sort of carbon build up or a really tight FB diameter.