Free recoil vs hard hold

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by grinnergetter, May 13, 2009.

1. grinnergetter

grinnergetter Well-Known Member

Wondering where there might be some info on the differences between the two methods.

thanks, Grin

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I also prefer the lighter hold. It tends to be a little hard on me with my heavy recoil rifle when shooting prone in hunting situations. I have a scab between my eyes as I type this.:D Went out last weekend to shoot rocks and got myself twice. I really don't like the brakes because of the noise, but I don't like the pain between my eyes either.:rolleyes: I think it may be going to visit Kirby this summer for a pain killer brake.

Steve

4. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

You can go to the link and watch her shoot a moderately heavy 308. Watch how she absorbs the recoil. She does not have a death grip on the rifle but it is FIRMLY into her shoulder. Watch her hand and see she is not pulling it into her shoulder really hard but just enough preload on the bipod for consistency. She is PUSHING on the rifle with her shoulder.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f73/long-range-f-class-41573/

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

+1 BB,

I have found a firm hold on more powerful rifles give me better performance, especially when shooting from field positions. When shooting off a bipod in a field position, if the bipod isn't pre-loaded, the recoil of the rifle will behave differently shot to shot.

AJ

6. grinnergetter

grinnergetter Well-Known Member

I agree with those replies but I was reading a article by a fellow who off the bipod, shot lights out with a hard hold.
    I dont like it either but I have hard time duplicating group sizes from bench to prone position.

Any suggestions on the occasional flier?

Thanks for your time, Grin

7. gebhardt02

gebhardt02 Well-Known Member

I tend to hold hard for nearly all my shooting, which is mostly field positions. I shoot mainly 300WM, 190 SMK's at 3000 fps. I don't think I've fired a round from a bench in over 4 years or more. But my technique is different on my 308, which isn't free recoil, but not exactly a hard hold either. I've found that my 300WM needs this technique for best results. I've actually tested out the different holds at the range, from 100 - 300 yds.

Geb

8. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

I'm no expert at this - still learning as I go.

As I try to get the hang of my bipod technique I'm finding a firm hold is working way better.

As BB says - I'm trying to lean into the rifle, preloading the bipod a little and at the same time pulling the rifle into my shoulder a little with the left (weak) hand. I've not had much success with trying to pull too (light is ok) hard with the strong hand (the problem it seems moves to the strong side shoulder and chest).

9. Seven Oaks

Seven Oaks Well-Known Member

When shooting pistols in competition I had a firm hold as you had to control recoil to quickly line up the next shot.

When shooting my rifle I am more relaxed. It's been my experience that a tight hold introduces more movement.

Just my experience,

Dee

10. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

If I cannot shoot free recoil, with the rifle basically riding the bags not even touching my shoulder,.....then it is in a white knuckle death grip. I have gotten a lot of training from a very respected BR shooter. He says do whatever works for you. It did not take me long to learn that for me it is either full on kung fu death grip or touching only the trigger. I exaggerate slightly, but I do hold the big boomers very firmly.

11. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I should. Mine hurts.:D I can put a pretty good grip on it at short range, and all is fine. Long range I can't relax enough to hold the target well. The only way I can hold the target is to fully relax and talk myself into letting the rifle smack me.:cool: It's pretty much a mental wrestling match.

Steve