Frankford Caliper

Spino

want to make sure on the measurement.

do you measure with the extended part of the caliper or the inside part (which seems to be a bit longer) the inside part that I'm talking about is the part of the caliper that is closest to the measurement numbers.

Most calipers have a set screw that you loose and then turn the outer ring of the dial to zero.

thanks! so I'm looking at mine and I see that it had a set screw, but it only lets me rotate the face? Do I set the long end of the needle at zero or the short end with the arrow?? It's kind confusing? There is a short end with an arrow tip on it which only rotates in the interier of the dial and a long end that overlays the measurement numbers.... Which is the true measurement on the dial? Thanks again!

Technically speaking, you want to measure with the inside of the jaws when possible because the farther you get from the "main beam" ( the part where the two jaws are connected) the more chance there is for slop in the connection to play a role in measurement differences.

practically speaking, with most stainless steal dial calipers, the is no difference ;)

you should pay more attention to the amount of pressure you put on the caliper when taking a reading.

"Do I set the long end of the needle at zero or the short end with the arrow?? It's kind confusing?"

Well, you can do it as you wish. I want to make reading it as easy and accurate as possible and that means putting the long end of the needle on zero for me.

spino, if you dont know which end of the needle to zero or how to use, please stop what ever you are doing and get some help from a shop teacher, machinist, etc. your lack of knowledege can get you hurt when reloading bullets. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.