fps needed to kill a Mountain Lion at close range??

NorthernSniper

Hello all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anybody have any idea how many fps you would need to kill a Mountain Lion at short range in a tree without blowing a huge hole in the rug? I'm thinking of going with a reduced load in my sons 300WSM using H4895, this should give me about 2500fps with a 135 grain bullet but I think this would still be a little hot. Anybody have any bullet recomendations? A bullet that will hang together and not do serious damage to the rug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd say its way hot! If its in a tree it will be a very short shot. If its bayed up in the rocks its a bit of a different story.

There's bound to be some loads out there using Unique or some such powder.

Figure you'll be shooting UP so small amount of powder wouldn't be a problem it'll be laying on the primer.

I'd suggest, if possible carrying a hand gun (9mm or 38).

Either way if your shooting straight up, give it a big hug as it falls on ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then change your diaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Do not just try to reduce the load with standard rifle powder. You could blow you and your gun up!!!

The loading manuals give a min and max load range for each powder do not go below that. That is extrememly dangerous as it can cause a detonation instead of a controlled burn like a small hand grenade going off.

If you want a reduced load, call Sierra or Hornady etc and ask for reduced loads recipes. Normally they will give them to you and recommend using a pistol powder that will but say a 125 gr BTip out around 1800-2000 fps. Sierra also makes some Single shot pistol bullets that work well for this.

BH

shoot a barnes tsx or original x bullet, they wont do any thing but punch a hole through it.

Jm2cw

I second what Bounty hunter said. Don't get to guessing with reduced loads. It will be your hide with holes in it and you will have no gun to shoot after it blows up.

o.K.! now there is the kind of info I was after! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pistol powder is a good suggestion! I was thinking of the TSX as well because all I really want to do is punch a hole in it. Thanks Guys!

From cat hunting. I've been on bow hunts, 243 with 105's, 270 with 140 HP game kings. They only leave 6mm and .277 holes. Pistol 45 cal with ball ammo.

From experience I saw I guy unload his 9mm into a ****ed off cat that yanked his 220 pounds off his feet when he was trying to keep his dogs from getting ripped up by a shot out of the tree cat. He got rid of 9mm and 45's just shut them down

Barnes and other bullet makers make a good FMJ bullet. Then, velocity is not as much of a concern. There are powders like AA5744 which are bulky and made to be reduced load powders in rifles. Call RamShot in MT and pick their brain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh...I'd say a load of 000 buckshot from a 12 ga. 3" magnum out of the front end of an 870 shotgun oughta work real fine!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your wish to preserve the rug is understandable......but risky. More important is quickly and humanely dispatching the cat. You certainly don't want to wound it and have it escape. Someone else might end up picking up that tab.

The recommendations for FMJ bullets that wont expand much demand a heart-lung hit. If the range is that close, a head shot should be available. Try to make a sure kill more of a priority that rug preservation.

That said, almost any reasonable, accurate big game bullet will work on a close range head shot. If you are going body, forget the rug issue and use a quick opening soft-point like a SuperX Power-Point, or a Federal Fusion. Shooting up into a tree may create difficult angles to the vitals and you just don't want to pencil a bullet through the guts and have kitty charge away.

Many years ago, I lived in a Mountain village here in Colorado. A mountain lion had been dining on pets for about a month. I caught him one evening enjoying the neighbors German Sheppard and he had no intention of abandoning his meal. My first 30-30 shot was too far back. I had to snap off a second shot into the haunches to slow him....another to the abdomen to slow him more, and finally a lunger stopped him. Granted, with a scope instead of my open sights, the first one might have done the job. The point is, them big kitties is hard to kill!!

A lot of the cat hunters claim to be using a 22WMR sounds a little light but it should be pretty easy to make a heart shot from 25 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've shot alot of cats with a 22wmr with hollow points, Hang in the tree for just a few seconds and fall with a thud.

Head shots produce instant drops and alot of kicking/convulsions.

OH! you guys are talkin' mountain lion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I thought someone said cat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I let a friend borrow my 10" T/C Contender chambered in 32-20 Winny to take a nice lion last year. I loaded a 115gr Penn Cast bullet and W231 for about 1100fps...did a great job and only left a .30 cal exit hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.