FPS Check...

Ludicrous

New AR carbine (DPMS), 55 grain VMAX with 25 grains of Varget, WSR primers...2650 FPS over the chrono today?

Isn't that a bit slow??? I was expecting closer to 3000 FPS. It was accurate though, iron sights at 100 yards printed a 4-5 inch group of 40 rounds. I'm guessing it would be a 1" group with scope. Haven't shot an AR in 13 years.

New AR carbine (DPMS), 55 grain VMAX with 25 grains of Varget, WSR primers...2650 FPS over the chrono today?

Isn't that a bit slow??? I was expecting closer to 3000 FPS. It was accurate though, iron sights at 100 yards printed a 4-5 inch group of 40 rounds. I'm guessing it would be a 1" group with scope. Haven't shot an AR in 13 years.

Sounds slow but I dont use varget

Ludicrous,

Velocity is a bit low, but that's not surprising. Varget is a great powder in the 5.56, but not for the bullets you're using. Varget an RL-15 are the two top powders used by competitve shooters, delivering both the best accuracy and velocity with the bullets we use for such shooting. However, these are generally 77-82 grain match bullets; NOT the 55s you're using. There, you'll need a faster burning powder to get better velocities. I'd suggest Benchmark, H322, N133 or N135 for the best velocities with the lighter weight 55s. Got to match the powder to the bullet, and there is no one powder that works best with the entire weight range of bullets in any cartridge. The 5.56mm is no exception here.

Hope that helps.

Which one of those four would you choose. Keep in mind I'm not a huge fan of blasting away with an AR. And I'm a 100-300 yard "iron sighter". Need to load about 4000 rounds, might shoot the dang thing 100-200 rounds a year. Looking for about 2900 FPS.

Here's what my 45 yr old rapidly failing eyeballs did the other day with iron sights at 100:

2B292F6A-7D0C-4E06-BC1A-640631678884-1888-000003131F9463C5.jpg

Any of them will do a good job, but right now, I'd suggest that whichever one you can find will be the one to go with. Crazy times right now, and there's far too many places I've seen where it's not a matter of going to the store and choosing from any of ten or twelve different powders they have on their shelves, but rather seeing what they've got in stock and counting yourself lucky if they've got something you can use!

I've used a ton of the Benchmark in accuracy testing in the 55 grain bullets with the 223, and it's tough to beat. Good stuff in this combo . . . if you can get it right now.

my coyote load is a 55gr sierra blitzking backed by 26.5gr of varget and a c.o.l of 2.26 and i get 2800 fps out of my 16in dpms upper. i get aroung 3/4 to inch group at 100 yards with this load will be working on it more this summer. this load is not listed max in sierra book but always work up.
David

you can't put enough varget in the case to get the kind of speed you should be getting. First, that powder is a extruded powder. If you want to use a powder that slow, get a ball powder. this will let you get enough powder in the case to get to a normal velocity for that weight bullet. unless your barrel is shorter than 16" you should be above 3000 FPS. With a 20" barrel you should be above 3200.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.