FoxPro help.

winmagman

Well guys I need a little help. I'm going to pick up a Spitfire in the very near future and would like to pick out my own sounds as opposed to getting the pre-programmed card. I think I've got 17 of 24 picked, but need a little help with the last 7.

Here's what I've picked so far.

C77- Juv. Red Fox Distress
227- Red Fox Distress
229- Red Fox Pup

246- Kitten Distress 1
F00- Kitten Cries

290- Lucky Bird (woodpecker)
291- Woodpecker Distress

L00- Lightning Jack
L02- Lil Jack
L50- Screamin Rabbit
L51- Big Rabbit
L55- Adult Cottontail

216- Coyote Pup Distress 2
C22- Coyote Pup Screams
C27- Coyote Pup Distress 3

M07- Calf Distress (I have access to a couple dairy farms)
R03- Grey Squirrel Distress

Feel free to make comments on what I need that I don't have or what I have that I don't need or have to much of. I'll take any advice I can get.

For a little back ground, I'm in southern Wisconsin. Most of the places I hunt are smaller parcels (under 100 acres) mainly fencelines, creek bottoms, small patches of woods, or wide open picked agricultural fields.

Thanks

Chris

After I play a rabbit or pup distress, if they haven't come in I play the magpie. If you have magpies in your area a coyote knows they find a meal ticket first and the yote will come lookin to see what they found. Has worked for me on a few stands where I was ready to leave.

Jeff gun)gun)

Your list so far looks good to me. I am going to recommend 4 more sounds to you. 3 of these 4 animal sounds, these animals don't live anywhere near where I hunt.

DO NOT be afraid to use sounds that are not normal to the areas you hunt. Here are the 4 sounds I would add to your list.

Bay Bee Cottontail
Vole Squeaks
Prairie Dog Distress
Snowshoe Hi Pitch

Vole Squeaks is a great coaxing sound at half volume. It sounds like a high pitch lip squeak. It works magic on coyotes that have held up at 300 to 500 yards away.

Prairie Dog Distress is a great sound because it has so many different sounds and pitches to it. I have called in many coyotes and one bobcat with Prairie Dog Distress.
IMG_1709.jpg

This bobcat came right in to Prairie Dog Distress about 6 weeks ago.

IMG_2157.jpg

I got this coyote double at one stand last weekend. The first coyote came in to Bay Bee Cottontail. I switched to Coyote Pup Screams, about 2 or 3 minutes later I spotted a coyote standing 300 yards away on a small rise looking towards my CS-24.

I switched to my number 4 preset which is Vole Squeaks on volume 20. As soon as the second coyote heard Vole Squeaks he trotted up to about 70 yards away and stopped.

Good luck with your new caller!

I just ordered one don't know if it would be ok to give out the name since they are not a sponsor but they guy pretty much interogated me for about 20 minutes as we were setting up the sounds they were going to load on my Firestorm. He said the same thing that just because the critters are not in your area don't be afraid to use them! sometimes I have found it takes a little different sound to get them to come in especially with the cats they are curious as all get out just don't get in a hurry.

If you want the place I ordered mine from shoot me a pm. Later,

Kirk

Broz,

No magpies, but plenty of crows. I know they're quick to find a gutpile or road kill. Might be a good add to the list.

derbyacresbob,

I wondered about sounds that weren't native to this area, didn't know if yotes were smart enough to figure out something didn't belong here.

I've been toying with adding some kind of barks or howls, but have read that they are less effective where the population densities are not as high as out west.

Any other thoughts or opinions.

Thanks

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.