Fox Squirrel Taxidermy

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Last month I shot around 20 fox squirrels with my Volquartzen .17 HMR semi-auto. That gun is so much fun!

This guy, with his totally black underside, is like no other squirrel that I have ever seen so I had to have him mounted.

standard.jpg

That is a beauty of a fox squirrel. I have seen one almost like it on my parents land and a couple more that were solid black and one black with a white face. To bad it is illegal to kill them in my home county.

He looks like some mutant space alien squirrel from the outer rings of Saturn. I just can't find it in me to say he is good looking. But he certainly is DIFFERENT.

Interesting piece of wood, too. Goes well with the unique squirrel

Doh! Well, I guess I got a lot smarter on this particular quest... I didn't know they existed. Maybe next time I'll find something you don't know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, it's probably the only thing in my life that I knew before you did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Went squirrel hunting today and saw six fox squirrels and two gray squirrels. Exactly the opposite of what I normally see. Managed to kill three fox squirrels. These are all regular red (non-mutant, non –space alien fox squirrels). One is a little white tinged.

Saw lots of turkeys and one "pink" deer. Not albino and not brown but something in between

My shooting was not too good. I glassed in the action yesterday to get some upward tilt to the barrel so it would float and to get the rear part of the receiver to make firm contact with the stock and not be bumping around all over the place. Zero on the gun was just a couple of rounds at a box and then off to shoot some squirrels.
All the sears have been polished and the barrel band removed and a normal sling stud installed. Front sight is filled away. A little foam rubber check piece on the Mattie Mattel stock. The gun is not very accurate (although to listen to the gun's side of the story, it is mostly the fault of the guy pulling the trigger).

Stopped by on the way home and saw "Doc Ed" who posts here. Thursday I had spent three or four hours sitting on the floor with a screw driver trying to adjust the trigger pull on my Rem 700 in 17 Rem and had succeed in several times adjusting it to where it would not fire at all and several times I got it to where it would fire when I closed the bolt. Roy In Idaho sent me a funny story by email about adjusting triggers so I decided I needed professional help. Being as Doc Ed was close I decided to give him a try. He had a very nice shop with lots of IBS targets with bullet holes in the middle. Decided if he could shoot those bughole groups I might as well have the barrel crowned as well. After thirty years of throwing the gun at squirrels on occasion, it probably needed a new crown .

I was fixing to leave when I saw the picture on the door of a bunch of young kids long ago in a land far away. Turns out we waded some of the same rice paddies. You should not get Doc Ed talking about XP pistols or else you will never get home to clean your squirrels.

Very enjoyable day.

381093.JPG

Today was the last day of squirrel season. There was about a half an inch of snow last night so most of the squirrels just slept in today. Saw two. Got one.

She was a nice rosy tan color.

382196.JPG

382195.JPG

Now I know who Doc Ed is when you said XP-100 Mr ED H.
we spoke on XP's before I need to buyone of his extras .

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.