Fox shooting

Sittin Duck

A bit graphic. Shot with 6.5x55. Used Norma 120g ballistic tip.

Attachments

• Up Slievenamon with 6.5 on 2-6-2013.jpg
    Up Slievenamon with 6.5 on 2-6-2013.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 100
Good shooting. Easier skinning. Not so sure on the stretching. Actually not so sure on the skinning either.

Hello drBill.I think you may be right about skinning and stretching :).
Luckily we don't use the skins over here.We just shoot them to help the game birds along.

Hello Mr Smith.
Yes that is a sako 75. Im sure you would have no problem with the 85.
I have seen them ,they are a lovely rifle. Best of luck with it if you purchase one.:)

Howdy centre punch.
Other people have said the same thing to me , I have fired both, the 75 is heavier and recoil is less but the 85 is ok to shoot also, the only advice I would give is to get one with the 22 inch barrel,a lot of the sako rifles are now produced with only 20 inch ,the 20 inch one's are factory threaded and are inclined to flip a bit more.

Howdy centre punch.
Other people have said the same thing to me , I have fired both, the 75 is heavier and recoil is less but the 85 is ok to shoot also, the only advice I would give is to get one with the 22 inch barrel,a lot of the sako rifles are now produced with only 20 inch ,the 20 inch one's are factory threaded and are inclined to flip a bit more.

Hey up Sittin duck, i had the same model 75 as you but in 270, i have also carried out work on friends wood stocked 75s and 85s and i can honestly say that the fit and finish of the 75 is noticably better then the 85 or put it another way the fit and finish on the 85 is noticably not as good s the 75.

Ian.

Well Centre punch hows it goin.I don't doubt you for a minute I have no experience working on guns apart from cleaning. to me they are very nice rifle,s , Then they should be as they aren't cheap.:D:D:D

The current Sako 85 is definitely a cut above most other bolt action rifles bar one.
In 2004 i was looking for a new varmint rifle and was set on a Sako 75 Stainless varmint in 22-250, so i phoned up my local gunshop and they said that the importer had one in stock and they could have it in the shop tomorrow, at this very moment i remembered that we now had an importer for Cooper Firearms.

I told the gunshop that i would ring back later and phoned up the Cooper arms importer, i was very disappointed when he told me that there would be a six month wait for a new rifle in 22-250 just before mentioning that he had just taken delivery of 6 Model 22 Varmints in 6mmBR, four of which were spoken for and two for stock.
This made me pay attention and at £1100 it was only £50 more then the Sako so i ordered one.
Cooper_Rifle_004.JPG

Cooper_Rifle_001.JPG

Cooper_Rifle_003.JPG

It was the best decision i have ever made, the Cooper was a thing of beauty superbly made and far superior to the Sako, i can honestly say that it is the finest factory rifle i have ever seen and handled.
Even now when i am shooting full custom rifles i wouls not hesitate buying another Cooper its the only factory rifle i would consider.
Have a look for yourself and handle a Cooper before you contemplate buying another Sako, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.