Found out who makes Cabelas scopes

Its not hard to get one of the chinese companies to make you a scope. Its probably not made by any major brand

I have a pine ridge and if you look under the eyepiece you will see country of manufacture and model number in "very" subdued lettering. Easy to miss. Have it mounted on a 22 and holds zero so no complaints for the cost.

If a good solid scope is wanted without spending much money the Sightron S I series is hard to beat for that price scope. It won't compare to the spendier stuff but they hold zero even on hard kickers.

I bought one of Cabela's high end scopes several years ago, the clerk told me that "he couldn't say,,,but it was made by Leupold". This scope was suppose to have a lifetime warrant etc etc. Well when it wouldn't hold zero I took it back and was given 1/2 of what I paid for it in store credit. The clerk this time advised me from every buying thier store branded stuff, as they change models every year and won't warranty them.

Wow, customer service no-nos x 2. First, they didn't replace the scope that supposedly had a lifetime warranty, second an employee actually advised a customer not to buy their stuff.

One might imagine that an outlet like Cabellas is not dependent solely on optics for their livelihood compared to companies that live mostly on optics like Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell, Zeiss, Nightforce, etc., and who must stake their reputation on on quality and consistency over time, the latter will be a better bet. I'm certain optics companies put a higher spec on manufacturing tolerances and QC than "clothing & everything" else companies.

I've long been interested in how the Nikko Stirling scopes sold with the Howa rifles perform. You can get a Howa in 308 WITH a scope for the price of a Nikon Monarch or Vortex PST. So are the Nikons, Vortex, etc., just ripping us off or can you really make a high quality scope for $50 mfg cost that will rival those?

I've long been interested in how the Nikko Stirling scopes sold with the Howa rifles perform. You can get a Howa in 308 WITH a scope for the price of a Nikon Monarch or Vortex PST. So are the Nikons, Vortex, etc., just ripping us off or can you really make a high quality scope for $50 mfg cost that will rival those?

Okay in answer to my own question, after reading many other forums the overwhelming consensus by Nikko Stirling owners is that they are junk. Its really not surprising considering only their price point. Sometimes a company's marketing can create enough panache to be able to charge more than a competitor for the same thing, but not much more.

Does anyone have an idea of the parts count in a modern variable scope with a side focus ?

It just seems there would be a LOT or parts with a LOT of critical interfaces and tight tolerances if it is to keep working reliably. 2 turret mechanisms + the parallax adjustment. And a prism so you see things the right way up.

In my view of the world, anytime you try to get so many parts for <$400 there is simply no way the tolerances are going to be where you need them to be for long term reliable operation. Where the trouble will start is anyones guess.

Bought a 3x12x40 MM scope from Cabelas today. They call it their "Caliber specific scope. Paid $99.99 for it. Behind the counter guy said there brand name scopes are made by Burris !
I heard that the scopes were made by Vortex. The folks behind the counter must be on commission or something. They will say anything to get them sold.

I heard that the scopes were made by Vortex. The folks behind the counter must be on commission or something. They will say anything to get them sold.
Way to revive a 6 year old thread :)
Obviously, cabelas branded scopes are made by others, and they have cjanged over the years and it also depends on which model your speaking of-- as stated the euro series was made by meopta; dont think burris, vortex, or leupy ever made a cabelas scope. Most are MIC.

Way to revive a 6 year old thread :)
Obviously, cabelas branded scopes are made by others, and they have cjanged over the years and it also depends on which model your speaking of-- as stated the euro series was made by meopta; dont think burris, vortex, or leupy ever made a cabelas scope. Most are MIC.
We just got a Cabellas in my area. It's like a hunter, shooter, fisher died and went to heaven. On another note- I have heard that Vortex will warranty anything with their name on it- even the WISH knockoffs. Now that's a warranty! I have a vortex copperhead and it's a lot of scope for under $200. It's their entry line or scope you find paired with a rifle for sale at say Dunham's Sports. Now try to guess what my favorite scope is??? https://monstrumtactical.com/6-24x50-ffp-g3-scope/

Yes, Cabelas Euro line are Meopta's relabeled.

I've never heard of Vortex making scopes for anyone. They do have a no-questions-asked warranty and will stand behind it. Their scopes are made in China (cheap lines), Philippines (mid line), and USA (top tier). I don't think any of the glass is made in the USA.

Good luck with you Chinese made scope.

There was at least one Cabela's band scope made by Vortex as I own one and that was the reason I bought it. Seems like a pretty good scope though it went on a rifle that has only been shot maybe once in the last 4 years.

There was at least one Cabela's band scope made by Vortex as I own one and that was the reason I bought it. Seems like a pretty good scope though it went on a rifle that has only been shot maybe once in the last 4 years.
Just got back from the range- shot groups the size of a quarter at 100yards with my G3 1-6x. Adjusted a few clicks and shot one more round...

Attachments

• F5750A4A-9B90-4570-B78F-DB6A9D1AB168.jpeg
    F5750A4A-9B90-4570-B78F-DB6A9D1AB168.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts