Found out who makes Cabelas scopes

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Iron Worker, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Bought a 3x12x40 MM scope from Cabelas today. They call it their "Caliber specific scope. Paid $99.99 for it. Behind the counter guy said there brand name scopes are made by Burris !

2. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Now that is funny. :) No they don't.

3. Iron Worker

Who do you think makes their scopes ?

4. Jon Jackoviak

Jon Jackoviak Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly who would make the scope you purchased, but I would say that Burris probably does not make them. At $100 Burris does not even make their own scopes. It maybe the same factory that make Burris overseas that make the Cabelas scopes.

I did a little research and Classic HX Optics Co., Ltd. in China makes some scopes for Cabelas.

5. Iron Worker

There was a black sticker on bottom of scope body. Of course I had to peel it off. " Made in China"

6. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

The thing I have learned the HARD WAY over the years is that when it comes to optics, you pretty much get what you pay for!!!!

Dave

7. Iron Worker

That's for sure. I just wanted some thing good enough for 22 magnum range. This scope was on sale normally sold for $149.00. I'm going to go shoot it now.

8. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

There are only a couple company's in Japan that build scopes to spec. They build almost all of the Made in Japan scopes. All the way from high end to low end. I do not know who the company is in China that builds scopes but they also build to spec. In other words you can have them build you a really cheap piece of junk or a really nice scope at either locations. Its all in what price point the company is looking to meet. On the low end the Cabela's scopes are as good as any out there at that price point. For the money the Alaskan guide scopes are great scopes. I have two of them and they work great. I don't use them on my LR rifles though and mostly on rifles that I'm going to sight in and leave alone.

9. Elevendysixty

Elevendysixty Well-Known Member

i realize this post is a year old, but I've been looking for info for a friend and can not find much...i have two cabelas brand scopes. the powderhorn and a pine ridge. the ml scope has a bdc in it that is dead on according to my experience at 100, 150, & 200 yds (whichwas the farthest i had to shoot the day of testing. i was told by a somewhat reliable source it was a Nikon without circles for point of aim reference. the pine ridge I'm unsure if mfg. but i have done limited shooting that appears to show accurate tracking. after this pesky broken pelvis improves some more I'll do some more testing...

10. Iron Worker

How did you brake your pelvis ? How long has it been ? I pray a full recovery....

11. Elevendysixty

Elevendysixty Well-Known Member

unfortunate hunting accident...I'm expecting a near full recovery. thanks for your time spent with the Man upstairs on my behalf.

12. cummins cowboy

cummins cowboy Well-Known Member

the last few cabelas scopes I have seen looked kinda sightronish from the exterior but that would only mean the company in japan that makes them might also be making sightron. cabelas just labels their scopes, just like vortex, bushnell, sightron and other companies do. actually all those companies are just marketing companies that acutally make nothing themselves.

13. Goat740

Goat740 New Member

I bought one of Cabela's high end scopes several years ago, the clerk told me that "he couldn't say,,,but it was made by Leupold". This scope was suppose to have a lifetime warrant etc etc. Well when it wouldn't hold zero I took it back and was given 1/2 of what I paid for it in store credit. The clerk this time advised me from every buying thier store branded stuff, as they change models every year and won't warranty them.

14. stoky

stoky Member

Rumor has it that their "Euro" scopes are Meopta.
    Does anybody have one?