Fouling Question?

Blacktail

I posted awhile back regarding cleaning between load tests. I was cleaning after every test (3-4 shot group). After the thread it looks like i need to quit cleaning so much someone mentioned starting with a clean gun couple of fouling shots and test away for up to 20 rounds or so then clean. My question when setting up fouling bullets should i use a similiar charge or lighten it up to save money? I have already seperated out the oddball bullets. Just curious to what you guys are doing cause it seems many of you are getting way better results with the 7 mm stw than i am and i think this cleaning thing may be my issue any thoughts.

I don't have an STW but I do shoot a 7mm. I separate bullets that are for sighters, foulers etc. I load them at the same charge as my other rounds and use the foulers for long range practice on rocks etc.

If the bullet's going down the barrel I want to have all the fun with it I can.;)

Blacktail, IMHO you should continue cleaning between groups durring load development in order to give every load an equal chance. When developing loads load four rounds per charge / seating depth , 1 fouler and 3 for group. Don't just burn the fouler, Knowing your Clean Cold Bore shot impact could be very important .

Mike

What are you guys doing to seperate out the bullets? What criteria do you go by? Do you weigh or compare the ogive?

bullet weight and the ogive. I dont get so picky is to get them all exact but with a thousand or two.

I use a concentricity gage to look for run out in the loaded cartridgebullet and use the rounds that have the least run out for groups.

Im going on a limb here.... but I dont clean my barrel until I see a decline in its accuracy, depending on what rifle Im using this can be anywhere from 50 to several hundred rounds. The only exception is if the rifle is going into the safe for a extended time.

Try loading 15-20 rounds of the same load,and shoot 4-5, 3 shot groups starting with a clean barrel.Don't clean the barrel until you are done.This will tell you if your barrel shoots better with a clean barrel or a fouled one.My savage doesn't group well until it has about 6 shots down the tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.