Forster Co-ax priming tool

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Booney, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

I have a co-ax press and love it, and was just wondering if the priming tool works as well as the press. So if you have used it I would love to know what you thought of this product. Thanks

2. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

I also have the Forster press and utilize the priming system on it due to repeatable seating depth of the primer.

I considered the stand alone Forster priming tool but have only read a few positive reports of it and quite a lot of negative ones.

I felt it prudent to avoid it.

If I were to use a seperate priming system it would likely be the Lee hand priming unit.

If I had the money I would swing for the Sinclair model.

3. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

The press itself has a priming facility. Are you asking about it or the separate bench unit?

4. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

The bench unit.

5. overbore

overbore Well-Known Member

I use two of them. One is the old steel version and the latest is for the auminium model. I like the ability to dump a complete pack of primers into their loading platform but it is slow to tun them all up and place into the flat tube. The old model allowed me to adjust the seating depth quickly and I have loaded about 3-4,000 with it. It is a tool and it is not perfect but I have learned to work with it as it will turn the last primer over if you are not careful. When loading the tube -chute into the tool you need to have either a paper clip inserted to hold the primer column or hold with a set of tweezers to keep from dumping the lot on the floor. The old model allows for various seating depths and it works just fine. I also have Lee, Sinclair and RCBS plus the Dillon progressives which are worse for primers that the Forster. Just on Old opinion 73 tomorrow---
    Laus Deo
    overbore

6. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I have the Forster priming tool.
    I do not load the tubes with the priming tool, but in an RCBS primer tray with a milled out corner. I clamp tubes to the tray.

7. overbore

overbore Well-Known Member

I like your idea; can you share the dimensions and the how to's ???

many thanks,

overbore

8. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I posted it on the cast boolits forum a few months back.
    That forum has the "manage attachments" feature, so I could upload pics.

I really need to get my own website or photo hosted or something:
    Forster/Bonanza CoAx Press - Page 2 - Cast Boolits

9. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

I use the AutoPrime II and, while I detest the shoddy plastic crap, I love my press and don't have to fill primer tubes. I can feel the primer seating and definitely know when the seat is solid. It ain't perfect, but I have a process and it works. No primer tubes. I watch the punch pick up the primer; after that, it's money.

10. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Sorry, I responded with the wrong Forster mod.
    Here is the right one:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The slot is milled .050" deep, but it only needs to be .031" deep to match the thickness of the bottom of the Forster primer tube.
    The slot is milled .340" wide, but it only needs to be .300" wide to match the width of the the Forster primer tube.
    The slot is milled 1.2" long, and that dimension is to match your clamp.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009