Forming the Ultimate Partnership

Subnormal

This year my wife asked if she could hunt with me. Wow, after all the past years I never thought she would take interest in shooting an animal and not going along occasionally just for the ride.…..Absolutely my reply, more time hunting together. One problem at the moment in my mind. She has never fired a rifle. To make matters more complicated, she just hit the lottery and drew the trophy elk special area tag. My pressures just skyrocketed. So out to the range we went, I thought yesterday would be the perfect day to test a field hunting rest I have been working on. What a perfect test specimen, a female that has never shot a rifle before.

200 yards was the test range, a reasonable distance for the first timer. I hung the target with 1" black dot in the center and made sure there was plenty of paper backer. One sighting shot. 2" high and I made the corrections. It was hilarious watching her try to get behind the gun and maneuver into a shooting position. "Now how does this work again?" She appeared to get the hang of the rifle after instruction and a few dry fires. Time to shoot 5 shotsgun). She seemed to handle the recoil like I expected. It pushed her around but she didn't complain. Let's go down range and check the target.
Target.jpg

As I got closer, I started to shake. My wife took the target down as I stood there with jaw dropped. She said, "How did I do, did I do OK for my first time," I patiently said, lightbulbknowing she would have no idea what just happened, "You did great for your first time honey, but we need much more practice. The object is to place all five shots inside the circle and not just on the edges. I think if we spend twice a week practicing together, you will do just fine." She thinks she needs more practice…..I think I just formed the ultimate partnership.:D

Nice !

So can she out shoot you?

I took my wife shooting with me for the first time last year.

She has gone a few times since. Other than not liking the moderate recoil stuff, she is dang near as good a shot as I am in very little time.

Probably would out shoot me if she spent as much time at it as I do.

I seriously doubt my wife will ever actually hunt with me though.

Your a lucky dog!!!

Great to hear and hope she stays with it. My wife is an excellent long range hunter and has taken some nice elk, deer and antelope. My son also has taken some long range animals through the years.

Nice !

So can she out shoot you?

I've been shooting for 30 years. This is her first five rounds from a rifle. My best 5 shot group for the day was 1.2 inches at 200.

Yep she can out shoot me. I'm scared to see what she can do with more practice. Hopefully improve at least two fold.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.