Forming 6.5 ss from norma 300 saum

elkaholic

I finally got a little time today to see what i could do with the new Norma brass which I was really hoping would work in the 6.5 SS. It looks like it will and without any interior doughnut! I started off with a rcbs 7 saum die cut off about 1/8". I pushed the shoulder back .010" farther than the formed SS case will end up.I stroke the press a few times with the expander in place to iron out the case neck. I then trim the case to 2.955". Next, I turn the neck with a Hornady turner with the neck still at .284". This gets rid of the doughnut which is all on the outside of the neck and turns out nice and smooth. I then run the case thru the SS die leaving just a touch of the .284" neck to headspace on. You can then either load a bullet and fire or use the COW method. Below are pics of the process.....RichView attachment 23536 case on left COW formed, case on right with bullet.
View attachment 23535 Hornady neck turner removing doughnut.

View attachment 23534 L to R.....norma 300 saum, necked to 7 and shoulder pushed back, trimmed to 2.955", neck turned to .015" thick to true and remove doughnut, necked to 6.5, fire formed case

Last edited:
Rich,

You're pic links aren't working for me for some reason, it keeps telling me they are invalid.

Anyone else having this problem?

t

I'll try again...... DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0597.jpg

DSCF0596.jpg

From L to R are 300 SAUM, necked to 7 with shoulder pushed back .010" past where new shoulder will be, trimmed to 2.955", turned to .0155" thickness to remove doughnut, necked to 6.5, fire formed to 6.5 SS.
The two formed cases at the top are Left, COW method, and Right, fired with bullet. The middle pic shows the doughnut being removed with Hornady neck turner.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.