Forming 308 brass out of other brass?

Doe

It alright to form 308 brass out of 243win and 7-08mm right?, I have about 60 rds of 7-08mm that i'ld to form. Just run in a full lenght 308 Die..check lenght and neck thickness and it should be good to go right?

This thread begs the question why? Yes you can reform the brass mentioned but you'll find when sizing up that your necks will end up inconsistent. Metal stretches at the weakest point so your necks will end up thin on one side and thick on the other. Sizing down is the better way to go and then turning the necks for consistency It may seem like you are saving some $$, but you may find yourself creating another problem. There is tons of quality .308 brass out there for not much money.

can't you just pop one in the chamber and pull the trigger?

you should end up close to fit, then do another fireform using COW or similar, and a suitable charge of BE.

what ever you do DO NOT JUST POP ONE IN AND FIRE IT.thats the wrong thing to do.

just as one said before its OK to resize the brass to something else but why do it.then you have to keep a really good eye on the brass/loads so that you do not try to load it back into a 7mm/08 again.or what ever brass you changed.

just buy some good 308 brass and have fun.it really not worth it.trust I know I rtied it and had no real need to do it.just thought it was something to do.but now I just buy or find and pic out the best 308 brass from the range I can find.would not want to know that you got hurt from us saying yeah go ahead and make you some 308 brass,then you get hurt because you fired a round not made for the rifel you fired it in.

This thread begs the question why? Yes you can reform the brass mentioned but you'll find when sizing up that your necks will end up inconsistent. Metal stretches at the weakest point so your necks will end up thin on one side and thick on the other. Sizing down is the better way to go and then turning the necks for consistency It may seem like you are saving some $$, but you may find yourself creating another problem. There is tons of quality .308 brass out there for not much money.

Over the past few years .308 brass has been very hard to find.
If you can find some 8mm js brass you can neck down no problem.
I have even gone to the trouble of using 30/06 brass and cutting it down and sizing it.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts