Forming 25-06 from Lapua 30-06

stripes

Just wandering if any one had any experience with this, wanting quality 25-06 cases, but lapua, norma etc. does not make it. would I be dealing with thick neck and shoulder area after forming, or should I buy a large lot of winchester cases and sort them.

Winchester brass is the way to go. Only do it without Winchester brass only if they don't make it. Military brass seemed to brittle when sizing down and Remington's was never far from that too - .25 or .30 necked-down).

I second .30-378

I don't have experience with the 25-06, but after necking .308 Lapua down to 7mm-08 I find that my necks are about as thick as my chamber will tolerate. I would be inclined to believe you may have to turn your case necks if going from .30-06 all the way to .25-06.

I would use Winchester brass and sort, I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of the cases tolerable after some prep work. And you may feel a little better saving $20 per 100.

I use norma 270 cases with a redding 25-06 form and trim depending on your chamber will determine if you need to turn the necks I usually don't need to but I do just to keep them even. It really is not a difficult task. I turn with sinclairs 3000 model. I have noticed that several fellas don't care for norma brass on here but I have never had any problems at all if you like Nosler brass they make 270 as well. I feel the work is worth the effort because mine is an ackley and the case don't lengthen much. So the brass lasts a long time. I hope this helps

RH

Well , I guess I'll be devils advocate , I like Lapua brass and feel that after buying 200 pieces of Win brass to sort , uniform primer pockets , debure flash holes and annel case necks to end up with 100 cases equal to Lapua's seems like a lot of work and then their not going to last as long! I put a value on my time with everything I do and for me using winchester brass would cost me about $3 a case.
I have necked 30-06 Lapua brass down for a 6.5-06 and a
6mm-06 and only had to turn the necks on the 6mm-06. , I'm not saying that you won't with the 25-06 but if you do it will be very little and the only dissadvantage is that you took a little bit more time , but you cases will fit you chamber better thus improving accuracy.

Some will argue that using high quality brass in a factory gun is pointless , but I don't feel that way as I've seen a few factory rigs in the 25-06 shoot sub 1/2" consistantly. and like I mentioned before the Lapua brass last a long time.

Am I missing something here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Can't you buy 25-06 cases and save yourself a lot of work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ONCE FIRED & POLISHED 25-06 BRASS 1000/CASE

Time Left till Auction Closes -- 1 Days, 2 Hours, 26 Minutes

AUCTIONARMS.COM ITEM # 7864398
Reloading Gear - Brass - Item# 7864398

High Bidder:
(none)

Current Price:
$100.00

Quantity:
1 lot

Auction Type:
Basic Style

History:
0 Bid ($100.00 starting bid)

Seller's Description:
THIS BRASS WAS FIRED FROM A TC BARREL

Payment and Shipping Instructions:
SHIPPING IN CONTINENTAL US $20.00 PAYMENT BY VISA/MC OR US POSTAL MONEY ORDER ONLY ANY QUESTIONS 207 826-2267

Current High Bid:
$100.00

Bid Increment:
$1.00

In the past what I have done to neck down 30-06 to 25-06 was:
First run them through a 270win FL die then I belive the 25-06 FL die.
Its been several years since I have done it so I may have used a 264 win mag die (just to neck size) between the 270 and 25-06 dies.
With the brass I was using (can't remember which brass)I didn't need to turn necks just trim a lot.
Factory chamber.

.25-06 brass is really the way to go - make them consistent and shoot. But then where would the fun of arguing be?

p.s if necking down, skip the 270 intermediate step stuff - been doing 30 to 25 for 23 years and have been just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.