Formal training courses

flims

hello there, im new to this forum and rifle shooting. as a matter of fact i have only shot a rifle when i was abroad visiting friends altough i have spent the last 3 years reading alot on rifle shooting optics and equipment. in my country, Malta(europe) it was prohibited to shoot rifles so we could only collect weapons. the law has finally changed after alot of gun lobby and i hope ill get to finally enjoy the sport. i have studied some ballistics mainly external ballistics in university so i got some good background in theory and bought a number of videos and books on the subject. i would like to have some formal training in rifle shooting and long range work in the US this coming summer and i would like to get some information on where is the best to go spend money and learn and practice for a while maybe a month or so. i came over to the US 3 years ago and i still have visa for 2 years so i hope i can make the most of it. i truly love seeing avid rifle shooters and read your posts and see the equipment you use. For some its everyday things, for others its a dream waiting to come true.
thank you.

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/training/courses.asp
http://www.deathfromafar.com/

Iron Brigade Armory does training at Blackwater, located in North Carolina. I've never been to this but have talked to the guys at IBA and it is supposed to be top of the line. If you go to the above websites you'll find more info on them.

Also I think Shawn Carlock out in Idaho does some classes, but don't quote me on that.

Hope this helps.

What part of the country do you intend to be in, and are you specifically interested in LR shooting?
My assumption is yes, to the 2nd question, but just thought I would confirm that.
Are you looking for bench shooting training or field rest shooting (both?)?

Yes, I also do classes both group and private. Most are based around long range hunting and long range competition. I also have the added benefit of custom long range rifle rental.

thanks for your replies, its very well appreciated.
my interest is specifically in long range shooting,field shooting. i dont have a particular place in mind in the US, as long as i can learn and there are open spaces where to shoot and practice it would be fine for me. the place will only dictate where in europe i have to go to fly to the particular state but thats another story.
how long are the classes for these courses? would there be like a beginners class and then you can opt to do the other courses? i would prefer to do more than one course since its like 15 hours to get there by plane so i cant do it often and its very expensive to fly to the States from here.
ide be interested in courses on reading wind and mirage and anything thats got to do with long range shooting techniques, equipment and the weapons and cartridges for the sport. is it hard to find places where to practice what ive learnt while im there?
thank you once again.

get a hold of shawn, and like he said, he could probably find a couple good rifles laying around for you to use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

have fun...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts