? for the smiths, feeding problems

Coyboy

My 260AI is not feeding from the mag on a savage short action. When you eject and then push the bolt forward the cartrige pops out between the feed rails, before the bullet tip has entered the chamber.

I am wondering if I can take some of the forward taper out of the feed rail (open it up so it's a little wider near the front) Will this alow the cartrige to remain in the mag long enough for the bullet to reach the chamber?

I'm good at working on guns, just haden't had this problem before and don't want to tackle it without some good advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Coyboy,
There are two vertical indents in the mag. box, just in front of the shoulder of a .308 case. When you AI the .260 these indents actually hit the case body right on the shoulder junction.This causes the case to jump out too soon. I have a .260 AI on a Savage 16. I flattened out the indents and put new indents in the box about .100 of an inch forward.(I made a special tool to do this) Now it feeds awesome for an AI,in fact I wish I could post a video clip of how well it feeds,but not sure how to go about that. I just put four rounds in the magazine and worked the bolt as fast as I possibly could and all four fed flawlessly,then I put all four back in and worked the bolt slow and steady and again all fed flawlessly.
Hope this helps,
308nate
p.s you should not need to modify the feed rails.

308 Nate, thanks for the help, I completly understand what you did. This should not be a problem for me to do.

Better to ask first, than bugar it up on my own experimenting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.