For the Lady's or their experienced buyers

Tyson,

Aren't you the lucky one! My wife hunts with me A LOT...and she has several thoughts on how to outfit a woman for her hunting experiences. She also started with a boar as her first big game animal, and has never stopped since. She has some very good points to suggest...first, also mentioned previously here is to consider your Lady's physical stature in selecting a firearm as proper fit leads to good shooting, and weight leads to comfort.

My gal shoots several Kimber 8400 classic select models, mostly in 7 & 300 WSM. Her friends also shoot the 7 in the same rifle and all seem happy. One of her smaller friends, 5'2 & 110 shoots the Kimber 84 in 30-06, its smaller and lighter yet.

The most important thing is to keep it fun for her and not overburden her with too much rifle to start with, and make sure she shoots as much as she can to build confidence.

Good luck to ya!

My wife started hunting with me when the boys got old enough to ask her to go. She has always been great about me hunting but never went until the kids convinced her to go. We have liberal deer limits in our area (3 doe per day!) and she was able to get one the first time she went out. That was about 5 years ago and she's been hooked ever since!

To answer your question she originally started out shooting my Sendero 7RM. It has been reworked by Benchmark and has the Manners EH-1, weighing in around 12lbs which makes recoil pretty tolerable. She started hunting enough that she needed a rifle of her own so I could have mine back.

She has a small frame at 5'4" 120lbs so fit and recoil was our main goal in getting a rifle for her. I had a Remington 700SA in 22-250 that I seldom used so it became the donor for her project. After much research we went with 7-08 in a 24" Bartlein barrel, HS stock and Vortex HST. Lapua brass and 150 grain Nosler BT shoots around half MOA out to 600yds. In the south most of our shots are within 200yds and it has performed flawlessly to this point.

Really happy with the 7-08, it's proven accurate and very capable for deer and recoil is mild with the 150's. I reload for everything but ammo is readily available in most any place.

Tyson,

Aren't you the lucky one! My wife hunts with me A LOT...and she has several thoughts on how to outfit a woman for her hunting experiences. She also started with a boar as her first big game animal, and has never stopped since. She has some very good points to suggest...first, also mentioned previously here is to consider your Lady's physical stature in selecting a firearm as proper fit leads to good shooting, and weight leads to comfort.

My gal shoots several Kimber 8400 classic select models, mostly in 7 & 300 WSM. Her friends also shoot the 7 in the same rifle and all seem happy. One of her smaller friends, 5'2 & 110 shoots the Kimber 84 in 30-06, its smaller and lighter yet.

The most important thing is to keep it fun for her and not overburden her with too much rifle to start with, and make sure she shoots as much as she can to build confidence.

Good luck to ya!
When both of my very young nieces were under 90lbs they would sit in my lap and lean back against me shooting my 7mmRM Mod 70 with the browning boss on it.

It's surprising what girls can handle IF they grow up shooting or otherwise start young.

Where are y'all finding these gals? I need a hook up lol... I can't find any anymore that want to hunt or shoot...

Wild rose I know what you're talking about .. The girl I used to date picked up my buddy's 10 gauge and racked 3 rounds through it (new out of the box) ... While he was still saying he was afraid it's going to hurt too bad.... He's never lived that one down

Where are y'all finding these gals? I need a hook up lol... I can't find any anymore that want to hunt or shoot...

Wild rose I know what you're talking about .. The girl I used to date picked up my buddy's 10 gauge and racked 3 rounds through it (new out of the box) ... While he was still saying he was afraid it's going to hurt too bad.... He's never lived that one down
I found mine at a field trial (pointing dogs) and have met many more at CCW and personal defense courses I attended or was teaching.

You will also meet them at public gun ranges and at tactical matches.

There are a whole lot of them competing in skeet and trap shooting as well.

More women and girls as a percentage of the population are involved in the shooting sports today than at any time prior in US History.

When my wife decided she wanted to start hunting i told her she could pick anything out of my safe as hers, she could buy whatever she wanted or we would build whatever she wanted. She decided she wanted the Tikka Superlite in .308. Its been absolutely flawless for her, i started her with low end loads with cheap 130gr speers and by deer season she was shooting full house 130 TTSX's with aplomb.

She now has a handful of her own guns, she asks for my input before buying and i have the right of veto for safety/quality. But she buys her own she picks.

Another vote for the Lady Hunter >>> http://www.womensoutdoornews.com/2015/01/savage-arms-11111-lady-hunter-rifle-little-lady/

[ame]https://youtu.be/1uC_okNktMA?t=47[/ame]

Also, if you decide on the Savage action, this might be worth checking into >>> http://www.ershawbarrels.com/shaw-precision-guns.php

The OP is indeed a lucky guy. I've been trying for 34 years to get my wife into hunting but to no avail. She always says it's too cold, you go out too early and come too late, hunt too far, etc ... Oh, well at least she shoots with me and leaves me the hell alone on all my hobbies. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Last edited:
What ever you get for her make sure the stock fits her. My wife shot a Remington 700 270 that I cut 3 1/2 inches of stock off and then put a magnum shotgun recoil pad on so it shortened the length of pull by 2 inches when it was done. She could shoot it all day and she hit what she shot at out to 500 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.