For the engineers, ? Varmint Reticules

Robbin

Question for you engineers out there about Leupold varmint hunter reticules.
I've got 5 8.5X20X56 Leupold scopes with the varmint hunter reticules. The MOA difference between the reticules varies with the power setting.
The large and small triangle settings are:
Varmint reticule
large small Triangle
1.81 2.26
4.13 5.16
7.02 8.78
9.35 11.11

They work great, but there is no listing for the MOA change at FULL POWER 20X. I asked Leupold tech service, they gave me a copy of the manual, which of course doesn't tell you anything expect what the large and small triangles are set at. I don't have the scopes with me, but I think the small triangle is about 12X and the large is about 16x.

Anybody know what it would actually be at 20x?
Thanks,
Robbin

Emailed Leupold and asked their tech support to ask one of the engineers.
Just got the response, "Our engineers said they don't have that information available"...

If there is a Leupold rep reading this, you should be embarressed.

Oh, and Night force gave me the MOA down to the 100th place for the difference between the 22 power and 42 power NXS...

First thing to do is verify that 20X is actually 20X and not 19.6 or some other number. You will need to do this by measuring with the reiticle at a known distance.

After you know it is really 20X, to find the MOA ,just take the MOA at 16X and multiply by the ratio of 16/20.

I'm not familiar with what model comes or came in 8.5-20x56, but the 6.5-20x56 VX3L should be 19.3 max power.

First thing to do is verify that 20X is actually 20X and not 19.6 or some other number. You will need to do this by measuring with the reiticle at a known distance.

After you know it is really 20X, to find the MOA ,just take the MOA at 16X and multiply by the ratio of 16/20.

+1 On NF Scopes (5.5-22) like i have at 22 its one moa marks, at 11 its 2 moa...

Yep, it's 6.5X20X56 the actual max is 19.3, the large triangle is 15 power not 16.

Anyway, The MOA changes works out to.

FULL large small
1.41 1.81 2.26
3.20 4.13 5.16
5.45 7.02 8.78
7.26 9.35 11.11

thanks for all the help guys... I emailed the results to Leupold. :)

Emailed Leupold and asked their tech support to ask one of the engineers.
Just got the response, "Our engineers said they don't have that information available"...

If there is a Leupold rep reading this, you should be embarressed.

Yup, they should be embarrassed.

They must have come up with the drops using some sort of method. Either they are too lazy to find the info, or the method used is not one they want advertise because it would embarrass them or give away some secret. I doubt the later is the case. what could be so secret about coming up with a ballistic curve?

This thread is a good example of why NF is the best LR scope (for the $$$) available. They are all about LR shooting. Leupold is not at all oriented to LR shooting. They are a good scope for 600 yd shooting, but beyond that they leave you guessing. They are not a true MOA scope and the tech support described here shows their mentality. I don't mean that as a slam, they are just not oriented to LR. They are oriented to the much larger group of close to mid range shooters which are satisfied with "close enough" from a BDC reticle that probably (who knows for sure?) simulates a 3000 fps MV and a .45 BC. If you ever call NF, which I have on several occasions, You will get a good answer and good help.

I'm not slamming Leupold scopes. They are good scopes for what they are designed for. But yeah, Ill slam their tech support for not being able to answer what their BDC reticle is based on. There is no excuse for that.

JM $.02

Mark

MontanaRifleman,
I'm going to disagree with you. Leupold is the best scope FOR THE MONEY.
I've got 5 VXLs that cost 800 to 900 each. If you can't afford to put a NF on every rifle, and I can't. Leupold is an awesome scope for the money.
I also have 2 NF NXS scopes. One 42X on my bench gun and a 22x with zero stops on my grendel. But those two scopes cost more than my 5 leupold scopes. If you've got one gun and one scope, break the bank if you have to and go NF. But if you got a safe full, Leupold does an awesome job for the MONEY. And you can get a leupold CUSTOM DIAL for your scope, so you can dial yardage instead of count clicks, for 63 bucks! You can't beat that.

I just contacting Kenton ind, going to get a custom dial for both nightforces.

But Leupold should be EMBARRESSED at not being able to either answer my question, or telling me the method I could use to answer the question. For that matter, that question should have been answered in their owners manual. The bad part is when they first said he didn't have the answer, I told him to ask the engineers. The next day he said they didn't have that information available. Now he probably didn't even ask. But that's what he told me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.