? for the .243 AI guys

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by willierower, Mar 1, 2009.

1. willierower

willierower Member

Ive searched the forums and blanked out.

I just bought a Remington Model 700 VS chambered in .243 AI. It has 26" 1 in 9 and 1/8" twist. The guy I got it from didnt relly experiment with too many loads. He found a load for a 65 gr. V-max that he liked. It grouped right at 1/4" with a MV of 2550 fps. He gave me 200 rounds of that when I bought the rifle. Those are fine for Yotes, nutria and such.

I really would like to find a load for speed goats and deer. I was leaning towards trying to use the 95 Grain Berger VLD hunting bullet. Do you guys have any experience with that bullet for game? And if you do what is a good load to start with?

I have a bunch of fireformed Rem brass and a pile of WLR primers.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

2. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

I believe that was one of the featured bullets on the Berger DVD, its results were impressive but I have no firsthand knowledge with the 95's.

3. Dano1

Dano1 Well-Known Member

The .243 AI really shines with heavier bullets Vs. the .243 Win especially with a 26"bbl or longer. Your rifle should stablize any bullet up to 100-105 grains.

I use 100g Sierra Gamekings out of my .243 AI using H414. Mine is a little pickey and doesn't like full blown loads, It's also a light weight mountain rifle and has a 22" bbl, so I have to use a slightly faster powder like H4350 or H414.

With a 26"bbl you have the ability to use a slower powder. Retumbo, supprisingly would work due to the case capacity to bore ratio. According to Quickload, you could achieve almost 3350FPS using a max charge of 51.5grs which is a compressed charge of 107.4%, that's if you can get it all into the case.

That would be plenty fast enough for deer and Antelope.

If you like fast deer bullets, a Barnes 85g TSX would work well too. I've harvested deer with 30cal 168g Berger VLDs and they work well, but I haven't tried them in any smaller calibers yet.

Dan

4. willierower

willierower Member

Thanks Dano, I will look into that load....

5. Old Coach

Old Coach Well-Known Member

Send an e-mail to Brian Litz at Berger Bullets and he will provide all the load info you need.
    I called and talked to him and the info arrived within an hour.
    Great customer service.

coach

6. willierower

willierower Member

Thanks coach! :)

7. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

I have a Pac-Nor 1-9 twist barrel on my .243AI and I was shooting the Berger 95 VLD's using H4831SC 47.5gr BR-2 primers Lapua brass. I had to slow them down <3275fps to get them to group well which didn't suit my wants . They did shoot very, very well once I slowed them down as per Walt's direction (great guy).

However the 105 Hornandy A-Max using N-165 powder is the ticket for me now in this rifle. I have a 1-10 twist I shoot the lighter 68grainers bullets in.

8. Old Coach

Old Coach Well-Known Member

Willie:
    Try the Sierra 85grn BTHP, it will group 5 shots into less than 1/2" in my Kampfield rifle with a Rock bbl.
    The Sierra is a very good deer bullet.
    I have killed several up to 300yds with that bullet from my 243.

Coach