For Senior Members or gun smiths

rookie1

I have 2?'s for you seniors, or gun smiths.

1st looking for a reasonable LH thumbhole stock (yeah I know a southpaw)for my 870 express?

And the second, like in the intro new members, I'm totally new to this. Just bought my first rifle and just shot my first rifle. Looking for any help w/ what is the most accurate shell to shoot out of it, and also what grain.

The rifle I have is a REM VSF LH 308 WIN 26", w/ a BURRIS 3x-9x FULLFIELD reticle focus. I have shot a couple of boxes out of it so far. Still looking for a range to shoot at and zero it better. I would like to stay w/ a single grain for everything (deer, coycotes, and elk ) if possible. Shooting 150 grian now, but was thinking a 165. Most hunting buddies have a 300 or 270 and shoot heavy grain (180)I like to be diff. Just wondering what you seniors thought?

Distance will be shooting(or practing at 100 - 4 or 500 if possible)Don't really know the cabilities of the rifle or me yet.

Thank you for any help.

Lot of good guys on here that can help you but here is my opinion. The 308 is one of the most accurate rounds in the business. It is to short a case to effectively shoot the big heavy bullets and does not get the velocity up there enough to be effective at long range on elk size game. So in my opinion it is best suited to the 150 grain bullet and keeping your trajectory and velocity up there as high as possible. You do not need the heavy bullets to kill game. With all the new high BC premium bullets coming out in 150 grain that is where I would go with it. You could put a Barnes 150 TTSX in your rifle to top velocity and kill any elk on the planet. I have not tried the new E-tip bullets but with a .469 BC that is my next project. I am in the process of setting up a 300 wsm with that bullet as a lightweight mountain rifle and am confident that I can kill Wyoming game with it out to 600 or so yards. The slower velocity of your 308 may drop you down to 400-500 yards but there is nothing wrong with that.

Another senior, here, totally agrees with the above 150gr answer. 165gr is the all round optimum for the -06 and the heavy bullets are for close in brush shooting. Best wishes, Overbore

so the Barnes 150 TTSX is the shell, have one problem I don't reload and I was looking, but it must not be in any cart. or i just couldn't find it.

So If I'm goingto buy the entire package which do you like or perfer:

Hornady GMX
or
Federal Trop. Bnded Tip...... or is there a diff. one you like

Re: For Long Time Long Ranger

so the Barnes 150 TTSX is the shell, have one problem I don't reload and I was looking, but it must not be in any cart. or i just couldn't find it.

So If I'm goingto buy the entire package which do you like or perfer:

Hornady GMX
or
Federal Trop. Bnded Tip...... or is there a diff. one you like.

I don't know how to reply so you might get this twice if so sorry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.