For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

WildRose

Reading many of the threads here I'm sure that for many of you wishing you could get started in long range hunting the dollars involved are intimidating.

Newsflash. It doesn't take 10 grand worth of technology, custom rifle/glass, range finders, weather stations, ballistic calculators etc to not only get started but to be successful.

Example 1

300 Rum. Bought from a fellow board member here Ready to go with quality glass, custom rifle that shot under .600 MOA at 1000yds with factory ammo the day I got it in.

Figure one is the rifle (The one on the bipod), figure two is today's 250yds target. Six rounds/two three round groups. I shot two different kinds of factory ammo for those groups Federal Premium 180gr and Remington Premier with the 180gr Swift Scirocco. Both shoot very well in it.

Total price? Under 2,000.00. No it wasn't a beat up worn out piece of junk just a nice rifle the guy had built and then didn't shoot enough to justify keeping it. He needed money to pay bills and I had a good week.

The scope that's now on it is one I bought used from a guy over on sniper's hide. It's an IOR 6-24x50mm Tactical 35mm Tube. Retail on the scope is about 1,800.00. The rings are another 150.00. I bought it with the rings for about half what the rings and scope retail for. The scope rail mount is an EGW heavy duty and it ran about 70.00 from SWFA. The 6-20x50 Leupold that was on it when I bought the rig is a great scope, I just moved it to my 7mm STW.

Example 2. .220 swift, Remington VS SFII bought from a member here as well. 750.00 delivered. It's the one laying down on the shooting mat. It's wearing a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 that I bought off of Ebay for 450.00. It's now on it's fourth rifle.

Figure three is the target I shot with it today, again at the same 250yds. I was shooting two types of factory ammo, Hornady 55gr V max and HSM 55gr btsp. Again, two three round groups totaling six shots. I added the blaze orange sticky for size reference. The one ragged hole group is where the original sticy was but it popped off on the third shot.

The last two pictures are my LR-260. It's a DPMS platform that I pieced together. Krieger 24" Bull Barrel, A2-upper with forward assist and shell deflector. The Lower was a barely used LR-308 that I put the target grip and JP Custom trigger in myself, along with the Magpul PRS stock.

The scope is an IOR 4-14x50 30mm Tube that I bought used for 750.00. In total I've got about 2,500.00 in it but it didnt' hurt too bad because I did it one piece at a time (found the complete new upper for sale at Sniper's Hide and did the finish work myself) over the course of a year and a half.

I also added an Apex Gator grip handguard today but that's not pictured.

The last target is from it and that's a full 20 round magazine from 250 yds and I fired the entire group in a little under 2 minutes. Again shooting factory ammo, Federal Fusion 120gr.

Oh the IOR that's on it now is not what I started with. The 4.5-14x44 Conquest that's now on the Swift was the scope I started with on it, and it was on the 7mm STW for four years before that.

You can get off to a good start for even less, than any of these three cost but I wanted to give you an idea of what you can get for a very moderate initial expenditure.

For most of you new guys once you get a rig together to shoot your biggest learning curve will be ranging targets. For 300.00 or so you can buy a decent used range finder on Ebay that will get you reliable ranges out to around 750-1,000yds if you shop wisely. The classified ads here are also a very good source for glass/range finders as well as rifles so don't be afraid to shop there if you are on a budget.

Once you have that you can use many free ballistic calculators on line including the one Len offers here that will give you good reliable drops for hundred yard increments and you can simply make yourself a range card to carry in the field vs worrying about buying a palm PC and paying for an expensive program.

Once you have all of that just get out and start shooting at known ranges and make adjustments to your range card as needed.

For wind as long as you know the approximate velocity and direction you can teach yourself how to adjust for windage and/or you can put windage adjustments on your range card.

Now doing it that way won't give you the exact precision that having the weather station and palm PC will, but it will certainly give you accurate enough data to shoot game with practice.

Again, as time goes on you can upgrade your glass, technology etc but you can most certainly succeed doing it "the poor man's way" as well.

Don't get hung up on the small stuff. Just put yourself together a good rig to start with and start shooting. Every time you get out and shoot you will learn more and if you are smart you'll keep detailed notes on conditions and results each time you go out. That will give you both the experience and knowledge base to build on in the future.

Ohh forgot to add. My fancy front rest/shooting pad is a campting mattress I picked up for three dollars at a garage sale and my fancy set of rear bags is an old beach towel rolled up with duct tape on it to keep it's roll/shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

I like the mat! Good idea!

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

Helpful post.

My first LR setup was a $450 heavy barreled Savage and a $300 Super Sniper. Add bipod, mount, rings, rifle basix trigger- still under $1000. Shot 1/2 MOA with factory 150 Scirocco's and 165 Game kings, and even better when I started loading my own.
You don't need to have a small fortune invested.

Len,
I've heard of people having money to burn, but never knew anyone that assassinated Ben Franklin's for fun.:D
By the way, looks like you need to come up 1/4moa.

Last edited:

Great post & thanks for taking the time, in reflection I totally agree that people get too entangled in the unbelievable amount of equipment that can be purchased in the name of long range shooting. As you stated, practice is the most important component of all..

To all the new guys out there, read this post & then read it again.

I figure once I find myself a good combo I like I will pay however much it costs. Reasoning is I don't want to be stuck with mid range when I decide I really enjoy shooting from afar and sell the old setup at a loss and move up. From the responses I got in the old thread I started I am looking for a good .338LM combo, I guess I need to start stocking up on dinty moore cans.

I figure once I find myself a good combo I like I will pay however much it costs. Reasoning is I don't want to be stuck with mid range when I decide I really enjoy shooting from afar and sell the old setup at a loss and move up. From the responses I got in the old thread I started I am looking for a good .338LM combo, I guess I need to start stocking up on dinty moore cans.
Not sure if it's still here or not but there was a .338LM in a Remington Police Special in the classifieds section.

If I remember right the guy was asking around 1,300.00.

You can find some great deals on the "super magnums" frequently with very low round counts because a lot of people want one so bad their teeth ache and then they get it and shoot it a little and can't tolerate the recoil or the price of shooting it, or just decide they need something more practical.

Just do what I do. When I decide there's a new gun/scope whatever I need I start squirreling away my money and once I have it I just start looking in the classifieds, gun broker etc and try to find one well worth the money and under market price.

You can find some great deals on the "super magnums" frequently with very low round counts because a lot of people want one so bad their teeth ache and then they get it and shoot it a little and can't tolerate the recoil or the price of shooting it, or just decide they need something more practical.

BINGO!! Thats the most truthful statement Ive seen in print on this BB is awhile.

Guys want the "BIGGUNS" so bad their teeth ache....and after 6 months of hard shooting their teeth DO ACHE!

Even if I didnt want to keep what brains I have still attached inside my skull...I have no place to even shoot a rifle capable of 1000 yards. I keep telling my gunsmith that but he keeps telling me I need ( I said need...lol) some rompin stompin 338 "Power Blaster"....:D. I think he just wants my money is all.

Myself...if I wanted to do more or even some larger caliber shooting Id go and buy another Rem 700 VLS model only this time in 308; adjust the trigger on it and slap this spare Zeiss I have here on top and pick up a bucketfull of ammo ( 308 is sure cheap enough) and go and bang away till my brains rattled...:D

BINGO!! Thats the most truthful statement Ive seen in print on this BB is awhile.

Guys want the "BIGGUNS" so bad their teeth ache....and after 6 months of hard shooting their teeth DO ACHE!

Even if I didnt want to keep what brains I have still attached inside my skull...I have no place to even shoot a rifle capable of 1000 yards. I keep telling my gunsmith that but he keeps telling me I need ( I said need...lol) some rompin stompin 338 "Power Blaster"....:D. I think he just wants my money is all.

Myself...if I wanted to do more or even some larger caliber shooting Id go and buy another Rem 700 VLS model only this time in 308; adjust the trigger on it and slap this spare Zeiss I have here on top and pick up a bucketfull of ammo ( 308 is sure cheap enough) and go and bang away till my brains rattled...:D
Hey trust me I don't knock anyone who wants to shoot a cannon, hell it's cool. I just have no need for one and there's nothing in N. America or most of the world short of cape buff and elephants I can't kill stone dead out to a 1,000yds with the 7STW and 300 Rum.

I just really encourage anyone that thinks they want one to find someone that already does who will let them shoot their's before tying up a bunch of money on one.

I've seen so many of the super magnums for sale with less than a hundred rounds through them it's amazing.

Hey trust me I don't knock anyone who wants to shoot a cannon, hell it's cool. I just have no need for one and there's nothing in N. America or most of the world short of cape buff and elephants I can't kill stone dead out to a 1,000yds with the 7STW and 300 Rum.

I just really encourage anyone that thinks they want one to find someone that already does who will let them shoot their's before tying up a bunch of money on one.

I've seen so many of the super magnums for sale with less than a hundred rounds through them it's amazing.

Im with ya. they wont know till they try it...one way or another.

I always wanted a .416 Rigby caliber...?/ I guess for the giant Jungle rabbets I have here..?????:D Then I got a chance to shoot a 375 H&H...ahhh...I dont need that anymore. ( Never did NEED it...just thought it would be nice to HAVE it is all. You know...the first "kid" on the block to have his own elephant gun....:D "

Good looking rifles and great deals. Nice shooting.

Yep good deals are out there and eventually you can always upgrade when money improves.

My first long range rig was purchased from a member here. $1200 edge built on Savage 110 action. Mounted a $300 Wotac on it and it shot great. Took my first long range elk with it. Now money improved and I mounted a SIII on it but the rifle is a keeper.

338cannon.jpg

Still shoots little groups. Only 100 yrds though. I do need to stretch it out a bit.

P1060168-2.jpg

Just a thought but maybe we can keep this thread alive and on the first page by getting other people to post their own budget LR specials in this same thread.

I'm still doing some work on all three of mine above and as I do more I'll post the "improvments" as we go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.