For 7 mm enthusiasts

I forgot to say, those capacities seem a bit higher that I am familliar with (in europe, powder IS measured in grains?).

Are those filled-up-to-the-top-of-the-neck H2O capacities?

LIke was said by e101, the RUM is NOT in another class [other than length], as it would NOT need extra smith-work, due to it's rebated beltless design. And wetherby uses same boltface also, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, I really DO like your must-have attitude, when it comes to 7's though.

Thanks for the explanation, my fault! lightbulb I wasn't precise enough... When I was writing about another class I meant length. Both RUM and Wbys require longer magnum actions and that's not the case with the 7 x 66 SE v H.
A must - have attitude is really nice, but unfortunately are we very restricted in the numbers of firearms that we are allowed to possess...:rolleyes: That's the reason why system - rifles like Blaser, Merkel, etc. are so extremely popular over here. No restrictions for the various numbers of barrels, boltheads...

Just downsized this year from a 300 RUM to a 7 RM. Definitely pleased with the performance of the 7. Not to mention the lack of recoil, less cost in components etc... Feels like I gained shootability among other things... call me a wimp I guess :rolleyes: . But at 5'11" and 150 lbs I didn't exactly enjoy the 300, especially when weather called for nothing more than a t-shirt for padding :).

Wife shoots a 7mm-08... yup it's fun gun :D

Don't get me wrong, I do admire the things some guys are doing with the "howitzer" .338's etc. Pretty big and bad for sure, but $$ and other factors already mentioned will probably keep me from joining that crowd anytime soon.

I just started calling them that, because on this site, most seem to follow the "bigger is better" mentality when it comes to their guns, and it seems some wouldn't be happy unless they were shooting Howitzers at game.

You gotta watch out for the "more-expensive-is-better" mentality also. Obviously, that one really IS true. But one time in the optics forum, when I asked if a certain brand of scope was any good, the only responders I got were those touting the 3 thousand dollar [german, or whatever] models, jumping all over my ***, totally trashing the "cheap" brand that I had mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty who DO use that brand, but they obviously knew better than to speak up. Needless to say, I learned MY lesson.

I forgot to say, those capacities seem a bit higher that I am familliar with (in europe, powder IS measured in grains?).

Are those filled-up-to-the-top-of-the-neck H2O capacities?

As you could see on the reloading data tables powder is still measured in grains. America makes the rules even today. Yes, the cases are always filled to the top.
However, the volume by H2O capacities in Europe is measured in millilitres, ml. That doesn't matter. For illustration and better understanding, 1 ml is 1 gramm. The rest is converting...:D

As you could see on the reloading data tables powder is still measured in grains. America makes the rules even today. Yes, the cases are always filled to the top.
However, the volume by H2O capacities in Europe is measured in millilitres, ml. That doesn't matter. For illustration and better understanding, 1 ml is 1 gramm. The rest is converting...:D

The numbers that I have seen are 73.5 {which I round up to 75} for the RM, and 100 even for the RUM (but I HAVE seen up to 106-108 or so). So I assume they are measured to the-bottom-of-the-neck. OK, I gotta go - this thread has pick up TOO much action now!

You gotta watch out for the "more-expensive-is-better" mentality also. Obviously, that one really IS true. But one time in the optics forum, when I asked if a certain brand of scope was any good, the only responders I got were those touting the 3 thousand dollar [german, or whatever] models, jumping all over my ***, totally trashing the "cheap" brand that I had mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty who DO use that brand, but they obviously knew better than to speak up. Needless to say, I learned MY lesson.
I've had that happen. I shoot a cheap Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 that I swap back and forth from my 7mm STW and my 5R .308 Win, because money is currently not available for another Konus to put on the .308 since it is just a target rifle, the glass is perfectly fine. Is is a S&B or a NF? Hell no...I wish! But will it do better than it's price-range? Sure will. They only cost $350.

Do I have some nice high-end scopes....Yep, but I have more cheap scopes, I'm ashamed to admit. I wish I could afford to outfit my $4,000 rifles with $3,000 scopes, but that'll never happen.

So, trust me, you're not the only one who runs inexpensive scopes on here.

Not true, our (use that term losely, as I voted for someone else) president insists on kissing everyone's *** today.

Bolt face would be fine with the 7 mm RUM but the cartridge has a large body diameter that won't fit past all action feed rails. That would require some gunsmithing if a repeater was desired. I think that is what the other poster was suggesting.

I've had that happen. I shoot a cheap Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 that I swap back and forth from my 7mm STW and my 5R .308 Win, because money is currently not available for another Konus to put on the .308 since it is just a target rifle, the glass is perfectly fine. Is is a S&B or a NF? Hell no...I wish! But will it do better than it's price-range? Sure will. They only cost $350.

Do I have some nice high-end scopes....Yep, but I have more cheap scopes, I'm ashamed to admit. I wish I could afford to outfit my $4,000 rifles with $3,000 scopes, but that'll never happen.

I figured as much, but they knew/know when to hold back on posting. At the time, [shortly after I joined this site] I did not. There's no way I can even come close to affording $4,000 rifles. So put that into perspective.

Hey, I really do gotta go now. I just got a call from someone asking me to assist in blasting up a hornet's nest in a tree. I'm grabbing my magnum 12-gauge loads.

The last time I said I had to go, I went ouside to find the shipment containing my "the rock" {not the BR model} front shooting rest, and I was checking it out.

I figured as much, but they knew/know when to hold back on posting. At the time, [shortly after I joined this site] I did not. There's no way I can even come close to affording $4,000 rifles. So put that into perspective.

Hey, I really do gotta go now. I just got a call from someone asking me to assist in blasting up a hornet's nest in a tree. I'm grabbing my magnum 12-gauge loads.

The last time I said I had to go, I went ouside to find the shipment containing my "the rock" {not the BR model} front shooting rest, and I was checking it out.
That's why I used to never post in the caliber suggestion threads with 7mm calibers. Folks acted like I was the "special fred" in the group...

I wish I could afford $4K rifles, too....I wasn't talking about me, I was talking as if I was one of them other guys.

I, too, am currently awaiting a package from another member on here containing some AR parts for my .300 Blackout build. I'll have to check tracking to see when they're supposed to show up. :D

It's all over the same! If someone dares to show up (also in the internet) with «cheap» equipment almost everyone is looking at that person as something low. Even if it's not that particular bad here in Norway, however you shouldn't show up with a unknown/ cheap brand, gun or even worse scope. That won't be good for the personal reputation. I've to admit that the scope question is affecting me also. IMO it is much more important to have top, expensive optics on top mounts on a maybe cheaper rifle. The rifle can always been tuned up the optics don't.

Now back to the 7's! I would love to buy a Sendero II, but I'm lefty so that's no choice. I have a nephew who is seriously starting out with hunting/ shooting, and I'm recommending strongly the Sendero in 7 RM to him. Personally, I might buy a 700 CDL LH and have it tuned by a good gunsmith with custom parts. Fortunately, Remington is still one of the better brands over here with reasonable prices. A Sendero II costs today between 1550 – 1850 Euros. Blaser, Sauer and the other known brands start between 2500 – 3500 Euro…

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.