Focal plain which is best ?

As for not being polite. You opened the thread by choice, read it by choice, comented by choice.
Acted like a jerk by choice. I dont believe anyone forced you to be a part of this discussion, or any others on the same topic.

Simply find a heading that can help you, or you can help others. Ignore the rest. Simple concept aint it.

Some good reading on the subject from previous LRH threads!

site: longrangehunting.com FFP vs SFP - Google Search

I am not an ELR guy but feel comfortable in shooting big game sized animals from 600-1000 yards, which is what I consider LR. I shot SFP MOA most of my life but have recently switched to FFP MIL and can't see myself switching back. I have yet to use a modern FFP reticle that has an issue with being too thick or too thin for big game hunting. The reticle IS thinner and thus harder to see at low power mags but low power is only used at close range shots where it is a "point and shoot" scenario. At longer ranges the magnification is up and the reticles are just fine.

Also it is a bit of a misnomer that the reticle becomes too thick as you turn up the power mag. With FFP scopes the reticle stays the same thickness in relation to the target as the magnification is increased so it is really impossible to have it be worse or unacceptable at the higher magnifications. If it is okay at 5x or 10x it will be exactly the same at 20x. I think some guys like to see more of the target as the distance increases but that is really just a mental preference IMO.

Much of your choice will depend on your style of shooting. If you don't use the reticle for anything but aiming at the center cross hair then you may not find as much to like about FFP. But if you use the reticle for holdover, windage, or calling shots, misses etc. then there is a huge upside to never having to worry about change in subtention due to a change in power.

One area that I now consistently use FFP is for calling shots, hits or misses, for my shooting buddies. With today's high quality optics a guy hardly needs a spotting scope to call all the shots in the field and with a nice FFP scope with a simple hash reticle a spotter can call shots and the shooter can immediately make any necessary changes. A very nice feature.

Also my style of hunting entails using mostly the reticle for holds out to 600 yards or so as this is approximately the distance where I don't have to worry about atmospheric conditions changing my POI. It is at these closer distances, 0-600 yards, that I may need to get off a quick shot and a mil hash reticle in FFP is about as fast as anything out there IMO. Beyond 600 yards I typically dial in based off my ballistic program and use the center crosshair as my aim point. But even when dialing and using the center it is still very nice to be able to read how far off of POA I was by using the reticle.

Whatever you do make sure you get matching turrets and reticle. It just makes for a much more user friendly and easier setup.

HTH,

Scot E.

I agree with Broz, and prefer SFP for varmint hunting and target shooting.

I too get aggravated that this critical attribute of scopes is often concealed by scopemakers. I think they do so because it's such a sale-stopper for much of their market either way.
For example, if I see 'First', or 'FFP' in the brochure or specs, I don't need to read any further. I don't care if it's the 'best' FFP scope on Earth -and even if FREE.
It holds zero value to me.

I agree with Broz, and prefer SFP for varmint hunting and target shooting.

I too get aggravated that this critical attribute of scopes is often concealed by scopemakers. I think they do so because it's such a sale-stopper for much of their market either way.
For example, if I see 'First', or 'FFP' in the brochure or specs, I don't need to read any further. I don't care if it's the 'best' FFP scope on Earth -and even if FREE.
It holds zero value to me.

Mike,

Good point about varmints, especially those on the smaller side like prairie dogs and rock chucks. I do still have a couple SFP's on my varmint guns. Having said that, I have shot chucks using the Vortex PST FFP scopes and there are zero issues with the reticle being too thick.

I am curious what the last FFP scope was that you used. Just wondering if you have used any of the new generation etched style reticles that are now out on many mid to upper end scopes. You may be surprised just how usable they are.

Scot E.

I am copying some posts from Jon A regarding this topic on another thread. His pictures do a lot to explain what I was saying about the new FFP reticles. These are Vortex's FFP reticles in their PST line.

OK, here's the 4-16:

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00404.JPG

1000 yds, the circle on the gong is 12" diameter:

PICT0073.JPG

DSC00419.JPG

DSC00426.JPG

PICT0111.JPG

I haven't taken as many with the 6-24, but here are a few:

PICT0122.JPG

PICT0125.JPG

PICT0107.JPG

PICT0105.JPG

As you can see, the reticle on the 6-24 is thin enough to easily quarter a bullet hole at 100 yds. __________________

Some more pics from Jon A that may be helpful.

On 2.5X it looks much like most SFP scopes with a 4a or similar reticle which are much liked on low power in low light conditions:

P1010643.jpg

If you're using it on 2.5X, it's for close range such as thick woods or something. At close range you don't need to see the lines in the middle, you just center the vitals between the three posts and pull the trigger.

I had the same scope in SFP and found it to be rather poor in low light because the center lines were even thinner so they still disappeared in low light:

MilCalibrationVerify.jpg

But the space between the posts is so big they aren't useful for actually aiming with even at close range.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess. :cool: As you can see the illumination Vortex gives them really makes it a non-issue. I believe all the newer IOR 2.5-10's are illuminated as well and are so much better than the one I had.

As for generalizing, I'll stand by saying you just can't because they're all different. Some FFP reticles are thick, some are thin. Some SFP reticles are thick, some are thin. Here's and example of a FFP scope and a SFP scope at really low power--1X:

PICT0095.JPG

PICT0093.JPG

One of those reticles is hard to see, but it's not the FFP. ;) __________________

I am curious what the last FFP scope was that you used.
That's an excellent question.
Me. I use my scope to make range estimations on coyotes in the field…. No I dont shoot past about 400 yrd using this method.
Coyotes are not big game animals. Apples and oranges. Difficult, low percentage—even "hope" or "hail Mary" shots at coyotes won't raise too many eyebrows. If you hit, you hit, if you miss, you miss. So most people aren't going to say a whole lot if you take a shot at long range with only a rough estimate of the range at a coyote.

Big game are different. Shots such as the above are not acceptable on big game (for anybody I'd want to hunt with anyway). You need to be sure of your shot. At long range this means knowing the range exactly. For this there is no substitute for a good LRF.

Most here don't consider 400 yds long range either. My comments were specifically for hunting big game at long range. You are not hunting big game nor are you doing it at long range, so I'm not sure why you thought my comments were applicable to your situation.
Jon, I have friends that have attended Hollands school. They told….
I see. It's certainly reasonable to get that impression when that's what you were told. I don't know what they teach there but I do hope maybe something got lost in the translation.

Learning a skill that can be fun and somewhat useful and could really save your bacon in the case of an emergency, equipment failure, or be useful at closer ranges, etc, is a fine thing to do. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I do hope, however, students are not being taught that should be their primary method of determining range when hunting big game at long range.
Why does Nightforce ony offer FFP in the lower power 3.5x15? Beacuse the lower power scopes are better at longer distances? Another fact I have used to draw my opinions.
That's somewhat like asking, "If Corvettes are really fast cars, why doesn't Ford make any?" Because they're Ford, that's not what they do.

For many years, NF scoffed at the idea of making a FFP scope at all. They finally buckled under and made the F1 and now they can't make them fast enough. Their upcoming newest, biggest, baddest scope ever (being called "the beast"), is rumored to be a 5-25 FFP on a 34mm tube costing in the $3500 range to compete with the S&B, Premier 5-25, etc. It certainly won't be intended for close range use only. So they're coming along, better late than never. ;)

I don't know what reticle the F1 you looked at had, but starting out their reticle choices were pretty poor in my opinion. They have some newer reticles I think are very nice and will work well for all around use but would probably still be too thick for your liking. So the scope you looked at was not a very good choice for your application and preferences.

You want more power and a thinner reticle, NF just does not make a FFP scope to fit your needs at this time. The important thing to remember is: That does not mean nobody does.

In order to give a FFP scope a fair shake, I think you'd need to try one that is a really good choice for your application. As one example of one I think you actually might like despite it being FFP, consider a Premier 5-25X56 MOA for a minute. Here's its reticle:

MOA-ER-525-preview.jpg

While that reticle is actually a hair thicker than the GenIIXR, being an MOA guy I think you'd like this best. Its lines are 0.1 MOA thick. You really could literally aim at an egg at 1000 yds with it.

For those who do like to hold wind, that reticle has 1 MOA hashes and little tiny gaps denoting ½ MOA. Without any special skills or training anybody could use it to accurately hold within ¼ MOA easily without even having to think about what they're doing. A really nice reticle IMHO.

Of course if you don't then that doesn't do much for you. The main thing would be if the reticle was thin enough you found it "acceptable" you may fall in love with other aspects of the scope.

The glass is SO MUCH BETTER than the 22X NF's you use. That alone would be enough reason for many to choose it who didn't care about the reticle one way or another.

5355634924_73e7d00190_z.jpg

50 MOA in a single turn of the knob might be another (pic by CS Tactical)! Being able to reset the turrets without a wrench, having a zero stop that never requires adjustment, a much better illumination system, etc, are some others.

My point is even if you didn't actually use the reticle for anything so all of the FFP functionality was a waste for you, you might like the scope anyway. Without getting behind one and seeing for yourself you just don't know, you have no idea what you're missing. Since it only comes in FFP, if you really liked it otherwise you'd just have to accept that "flaw" and get used to it. There's not a single scope I've ever seen that didn't have at least one or two things I didn't like about it.

But even if you, personally, didn't end up liking it, a lot of other people would. A lot of people after looking through it next to a NF wouldn't want to look through the NF ever again if they didn't have to no matter what reticles they had. Remember, there are 40,000 members here. Not many are going to find an egg at 1000 yds insufficient precision for their needs.

Which is why I try and set the record straight in these threads. If all those out there reading are told the above scope just isn't good for "long range" because it's FFP they may never give one a try. They could miss out on something they might really like a lot better. And I don't just mean that particular scope--it was just an example--there are lots of really nice scopes out there that only come in FFP. People being told they should all be crossed off the list immediately if they shoot long range and use a range finder is not helpful to them.

I really like this thread as I hadn't read any other on the subject. I get annoyed when someone uses the "use the search function" or "it's been discussed before." response. I like fresh discussions and more than likely just about everything at some point has been discussed on the net.

How about the Sheperd scope? It uses both ffp and sfp. The main reticule is in the second and the range finding/BDC is in the first(I think).

Coyotes are not big game animals. Apples and oranges. Difficult, low percentage—even "hope" or "hail Mary" shots at coyotes won't raise too many eyebrows. If you hit, you hit, if you miss, you miss. So most people aren't going to say a whole lot if you take a shot at long range with only a rough estimate of the range at a coyote.

Big game are different. Shots such as the above are not acceptable on big game (for anybody I'd want to hunt with anyway). You need to be sure of your shot. At long range this means knowing the range exactly. For this there is no substitute for a good LRF.

Explain why the life of one animal is different from another.

I really like this thread as I hadn't read any other on the subject. I get annoyed when someone uses the "use the search function" or "it's been discussed before." response. I like fresh discussions and more than likely just about everything at some point has been discussed on the net.

How about the Sheperd scope? It uses both ffp and sfp. The main reticule is in the second and the range finding/BDC is in the first(I think).

Explain why the life of one animal is different from another.

That could turn into a political tinderbox quickly..........

That could turn into a political tinderbox quickly..........

Depends on what Jon A meant. I'm pretty sure I know, though. Kinda sounded like one of those subtle ethic trump cards used to prove that some other hunters way besides his own, is cruel and vicious. Just trying to find out if he truly believes or is just spewing forth what others have spewed in an attempt to appear right in their argument. I could be wrong, just wanted to see.

I use a SFP scope. I hunt all ranges out to 1000 yards with good success, and never found myself wanting for a FFP scope. I use turret adjustment for precision shooting at long range. In those situations when I use my Reticle for accurate ranging I use the highest power for the best possible precision. For other reticle uses like leads, etc, it's easy enough to make the mental adjustments very quickly when hunting at closer ranges and using lower powers. I'd rather spend the extra $$$$ they charge for this feature on something I can get use out of. IMHO

Why do FFP scopes holding anywhere near the function of LR SFP scopes cost at least twice as much?
I thought the 'benefit' of FFP scopes is one less lens? LESS..

You know, the claims that FFP scopes of late have small enough reticles to function closer to SFP in the field, doesn't address all the other issues with them. Things like all the Hollywood on their reticle planes, and lower precision MIL adjustments, typically excess weight and size(with one less lens), and ridiculous prices.

I can't help but conclude so far that all any scopemaker needs to do to be hailed as incredible, is REDUCE EFFORTS in scope design, while setting their prices higher than most.
This is exactly what Leupold and NF will do in providing for the tactical mob. NF already did it with their 'BR' scope(what a joke).
Then those who buy them would never concede this as bad judgement on their part. They would instead deny all reasoning and attempt to drag as many into their delusions as possible.
IMO, it's the only reason there are still FFP scopes. And it's the only reason those here would over-push for FFP, while SFP scopes obviously serve hunters and competitors well.

Too bad so much energy and $resources$ have not been pointed toward actual improvements in our scopes. There are so many, so close, that just aren't being asked for..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.