FN SPR 1a 300wsm

FnSpr1akid

Well I am new on the board but I have recently come into possession of two different but nice long range rifles and would like to share my knowledge onto others.
First is my Remington R5 milspec (don't know if it really is a milspec 5r barrel or just a remmy gimmy)
Out of box it is a typical remmy a nice crisp 92lb trigger but the fit and finish is nice considering the HS precision stock (dbl palm swell). Once I got the trigger adjusted I fired my..uhh break in day...with out of the box 150's and average 5shots in the 1/2-1moa range out to 300yards (did not care to try farther) finally got around to my first cleaning and the barrel was clean in around 2 patches almost no fouling to mention.
One week in my dies arrive and I start loading for 175smk's at 2300-2600 and end up finding it to like 2300-2500 ranges best (good enough for 800yard shots).
I get my load dialed in and my standard Remington is actually shooting standard 5 shot sub 1/2 moa I have shot a 5 shot 1/2" at 300yards..(92% luck 7% chance and 1% skill).
After about 100rounds is when accuracy will start to falter.. Weight all dressed up with 4-16x weaver is 12lbs
makes pleasant shooting with 175's. Overall I would recommend any entry level .308 shooter to find a R5 Remington.

Now for the Topic post on the FN SPR 1A 300wsm
McMillan A3 stock is so far one of my favorite prone stocks the comb is high enough to suit me fine without needing the adjustable cheek piece.The trigger is fair out of the box with mine breaking at 4lbs nice and crisp. Fit and finish is quite nice with only thing being that annoying slight crookedness of the barrel in the channel (Still WELLLLLLL free floated) action is smooth with the claw extractor. Overall weight dressed with nikon 3.5-10 mildot is 15 1/2lbs so it makes shooting big loads feel like a meager .308win. Accuracy out of the box was disappointing and quite honestly made me wanna cry till I realized I had forgot to tighten my front scope ring then with 180gr SGK's (stupid me did not read the box at cabelas and grabbed what should have been SMKs but instead was a box of game kings.)Now with all the err little stuff out of the way with re-19 I am seeing 5 shots in the 1/4-1/2moa range with me jerking the trigger like a ninny.The rifle coming with a 20moa rail is nice the maker is unknown but quality is upscale. FN packages a test target with logbook so check that out if you run across one. The chamber is cut beautifullly on these rifles matched up to a long magazine on them (OAL of 3" compared to recommended COAL of 2.8") so I think I might try some big VLD's to compliment the 1:10 barrel which cleans nicely btw. Reliability testing is yet to come. 300wsm rocks btw.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.