Fly leftovers

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by goodgrouper, May 1, 2007.

1. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

This isn't really long range or really hunting for that matter but considering the size of the target, I and that something died, I thought it might fit here.

I was out this evening shooting some groups out of my 6ppc in preparation for an upcoming match and got it shooting pretty well at 100 and 200 yards:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after shooting these groups, I had 4 shots left and decided to go back and shoot another group at 100 yards. But just as I got the gun back on the target, I spotted a fly on the backer. Well, this was just too much temptation and since I have yet to kill anything with this barrel yet, I thought the little bugger should be the first kill. And besides, he was sticking his tongue out at me and daring me to do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So I put the 1/8 minute dot over it's back and tickled the 2 oz. trigger. SPLAAT! Man was that fun. Then about 5 seconds later, his buddy decided to come see what the red spot was. SPLAAT! I waited for a minute or two and two more flys landed on the target and they became red spots too. I went four for four on winged vermin and was laughing my butt off. This was way better than a flyswatter! What a good way to end the day!

Here is the remains of the first vermin:
    [​IMG]

2. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

4 for 4 'eh. Not too bad me thinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Makes big game seem kinda easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. IDAHO PREACHER

IDAHO PREACHER Well-Known Member

I'm not to sure which I should be more impressed with the .191 at 200 yards or the fly shots. To bad there wasn't the head and attenna left so you could mount them. Very impressive I know you are ready for your upcoming match.
    Good luck! What Bullets and weight are you using in the 6ppc? IP

4. edge

edge Well-Known Member

Please tell me that they were SMK's so we can put to rest the question of their hunting usefulness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

DO you think that you need to dial it in a little better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

GG,

So are you saying that your flyswater is shooting MOF (minute of Fly)? This bugs me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good shooting!

JD338

7. .25AOD

.25AOD Well-Known Member

Yeah... I usually have flies land on my targets when I'm shooting too. I think it's because my groups usually look like $hit!! ~JT

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I recall, years ago, @ a BR match my last shot was at a fly.

The flier was more than an inch from the group. I lost the small group and 100 yd aggregate but the blood & splatter was on the target. Was more than worth it.

Good shooting and yep that shot counts as LRH considering the size of the target. BTW, which shoulder did you hit behind or was it the much sought after 'full body shot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

That looks like a gut shot to me.

10. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Is baiting flies unethical? I am going to smear something on my target backing to draw them in, looks like fun.

11. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

eddybo,
    What are you thinking of smearing on your backing baord to attract them fly's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

12. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    eddybo,
    What are you thinking of smearing on your backing baord to attract them fly's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

We rubbed a piece of white paper with old hambuger meat.

By the time we got back to the benches, it had moving targets.

13. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Nice shooting GG !!!Just a couple of questions for you.

Bucks or Does ?
    Were they Trophy class or Managment Flies ?
    Did the bullets perform well as tested in media?
    Were the shots ethical for the given distance and conditions?
    Is baiting allowed in Utah.( considered unethical in some states)
    Did you go for the classic high shoulder shot?
    Did you call your head shots in advance ?
    What is the legal bag limit in Utah ?
    Were you in a Draw Unit or over the counter tags ?
    How long does the season last? (9 days like Deer?)
    Do you need a recomendation for a good Taxidermist ?
    Did the shot qualify you for the FHA long range club?
    No pics with info on white paper??????

Looks like she's going to be a shooter !!! RHB

14. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Good shootin' without a doubt!! Nice that he left a little residue so that you've got some solid evidence as well.

Got one ?. Why did you divide the 200 yd group by 2 to get .190? Just curious. I'm sure there is a method behind the madness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.