Fluting, Octagonal?

bowhunthard88

For a 1.125" dia. Hart benchrest barrel in 6NormaBR, would it be best to go with a round barrel, or fluting or octagonal? Is one more conducive to accuracy? Are they all just for looks? I am building a benchrest gun, and would like to know in order to get the best accuracy.

Thanks.

I shot bench rest in the 90's and hardly anyone fluted there barrels then. Now i don't know. I would do 2 things, if i was getting back in to benchrest shooting i would shoot a 6 PPC .262 neck then i would ask my gunsmith for his advise on the flutting. I would choose a smith who is a shooter also, he would know the rules. When i quit i was shooting a new 6ppc, Hall M rblp action , Lee Six stock, Hart barrel, Jewell trigger, 36 x L. scope, gun could not weigh over 10.5 lb for LV class. There was no thought given to flutting to save weight.
Mike

a 1.125" barrel that is round will be more stiff than a 1.125" barrel thats fluted plain and simple. The fluted barrel might cool a little bit faster and it will weigh less but it will not be stiffer. I don't know about the octagonal barrel but I assume the same if your measuring the max OD , if your measuring 1.125" from flat to flat then it will be stiffer bacause it has more mass.

What class are you looking to shoot?

Ok, you really need to clarify something first. That question is in the realm of what size tires do I put on a race car. A lot more information is needed.

Are we talking SR BR, ie 100-300 yds?

are we talking 600-1000 Yd LR BR?

Are we talking SR Score BR?

IMO forget the octogonal, you might have to flute to make weight depending on which class you are shooting, but there are other options also.

If you are asking that type question, you really need to be talking to the smith that is going to build it. You have weight limitations in each class (from 10.5 to 17 lbs depending on which class), and depending on the other components you may have to make adjustments.

BH

Ok, you really need to clarify something first. That question is in the realm of what size tires do I put on a race car. A lot more information is needed.

Are we talking SR BR, ie 100-300 yds?

are we talking 600-1000 Yd LR BR?

Are we talking SR Score BR?

IMO forget the octogonal, you might have to flute to make weight depending on which class you are shooting, but there are other options also.

If you are asking that type question, you really need to be talking to the smith that is going to build it. You have weight limitations in each class (from 10.5 to 17 lbs depending on which class), and depending on the other components you may have to make adjustments.

BH
That's basicly what i meant but you said it a lot better. Very good information.
Mike

I've never competed before, but would like to get into F-class shooting (600 - 1000 yds.), I think that it will be relatively easy to stay in the weight limit, but I'm primarily looking a what will be the most accurate.

Thanks.

Competion is fun but time consuming, and expensive. I shot 100-200 yard on the IBS and NBRSA circuit in the late 80's - mid 90's. I had a 6ppc which was and probably still dominate today. But those was tough years young, married raising a child i really didnt have the money to go a lot. I had one thing for me at the time i was in auto body business just small, but i started painting gun stocks since it was auto-body work. I actually started painting for a top gunsmith at the time named Seely Masker, he give me a little endorcement which helped and i did a fair amount of stock painting in the evenings to help my hobby. The trouble most matches involved driving out of town which included : gas, food, motels, etc. soon added up and i decided to sell out. Now i started landscaping doing better, kid gone, etc., dont have the time. Its like one of the life reverse order thing. I would contact the International Bench Rest Assc. and get some information on what is offered to see what you would like. BTW on one of the upper tabs Bordend Rifles is Jim Borden i think he still might be the President. I would gather information like this to see what appeals to you before i would buy any equiptment. One other thing if you decide to compete and you cant jump in to it heavy i wouldn't do it. These guys competing are having fun but they are there to win. Like Dale Earnhart said second place is the first plase looser. Good luck to you.
Mike

OK now you have pinned it down.

You have no need at this weight limit to worry about fluting or anything. Fclass is not BR but is an NRA sanctioned match. Also this puts you in the Open class. they have two classes, FT-R (223 and 308 only) and Open (any other caliber)

Now most of the BRs in Fclass are either the Dasher or the BRX with the edge probably to the BRX. The straight BR can compete but is not the round of choice and gives up a little MV compared to the improved models.

With the straight BR you are looking at the 105-107 gr bullets at 2800-2850 as compared to 2950 to 3050 in the improved models. That equates to little more wind drift in particular for the straight BR.

The BRX uses standard BR dies and now several die mftrs have come out with Dasher dies.

Another option is the no neck turn 6x47 (6.5x47 necked down). Stock dies are out and runs the 105-107 gr bullets 3100-3200.

Either way order your own no neck turn reamer and go/no go guages ($200 for all) and it will last you a lifetime. Look at www.6mmbr.com for discussions on what freebore or call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage (PTG) and order your reamer from him.

It is relatively easy to fireform any of the cartridges and even in matches. You simply buy an exanding mandrel ($25 from Sinclair or K&M), neck up to the next size caliber (25) and then neck size down leaving a small false shoulder where it is slightly tight chambering. Use a little lube(truecote, or lube wax) on the shoulders when firing and perfect fireforming. Articles on how to at 6mmbr.

I am shooting a BRDX (BR Ack Imp) that has shot 105 FB bullets 3130 with extreme accuracy. I am rechambering it now to a no neck turn .272 and shorter throat for the VLD bullets.

go to long range target shooting forum for detailed info on Fclass, guns, cartridges etc. Only thing is this is where the top dogs in Fclass hang out such as the US Fclass team is and they normally shoot the 6.5-284 as it is flatter yet and a barrel only lasts 800-1200 rds compared to 2000-4000 for BR derivatives.

I would go with the BRX or 6-47. Go to the local F class matches in NJ, PA and see what type rigs everyone is shooting first.

BH

For a 1.125" dia. Hart benchrest barrel in 6NormaBR, would it be best to go with a round barrel, or fluting or octagonal? Is one more conducive to accuracy? Are they all just for looks? I am building a benchrest gun, and would like to know in order to get the best accuracy.

Thanks.

From what I see that you want I would recomend the order you
posted . Round, fluted and octagonal.

And in my opinion from an accuracy standpoint round is less risk
of machining differences .

Most barrel makers have bench rest tapers that will work in certain
weight classes so weight should not be a problem.

J E CUSTOM

Not gonna jump in headfirst lol, but I am looking for something really accurate that I can use for long range varmints, and if I want to I could use the same gun for competition.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.