fluting and plishing

rscott5028

I just assembled my first 6br and shot 1 box of factory Lapua 105's. What a sweet shooting cartridge!

TAC30
Bartlein 5R, 1:8, 26", straight taper 1.25-.97"
Timney
Manners T4a

6br-tac30.JPG

I didn't move the rings. So, the scope hangs off the end of the rail. Plus, I haven't even bedded it yet and it shot one ragged hole at 100 and less than 1" at 263yds with a 15mph cross wind and lots of mirage. Lucky? Perhaps. Time will tell. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with my first full custom build thus far.

However, I'd like to shed a little weight. So, I'm thinking of (a) removing some material from the stock/barrel channel, and (b) sending the barrel back to Bartlein to be fluted.

I haven't done any polishing. And, it still has magic marker from the mfg and a few scuffs along the length.

Should I polish it at all before or just wait 'till after fluting? I've never tried polishing a fluted barrel. ...not looking for a high shine. ...just looking to clean it up.

thanks,
richard

I don't know if Bartlien would flute it now. The normally would flute before they rifled the barrel. This way the flutes don't cause a problem with the rifling. Most likely it won't but it could. You may have had a better chance of it before you chambered it too. Might want to check out places like Twisted Barrel for fluting options.

And I have never had a problem polishing a barrel after it is fluted.

Denny

ps, Sweet looking rig!

I checked with them before I chambered it and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I just need to re-crown it.

But, I'll check out the site you referenced as well.

Thanks!!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.