Fluting a #6 contour

emmagator

Im going to be ordering a barrel from pac-nor in a #6, i was contemplating having them contour as well. Ive been reading some older posts, some say do some say dont flute. Some say it makes barrel stiffer, which i dont understand. Some say it effects accuracy some say it doesnt. Any recent experience? Advice? Thanks

I've never understood the argument about fluting making the barrel stiffer. How do you make something stiffer by taking metal away???

I'm sure others will jump in on this but I've always been told if you want a fluted barrel get it from the manufactor fluted. Don't buy it from the manufactor and have someone else do the fluting. I believe the problem with fluting barrels comes from having them fluted incorrectly or something to that affect.

I've never understood the argument about fluting making the barrel stiffer. How do you make something stiffer by taking metal away???

I'm sure others will jump in on this but I've always been told if you want a fluted barrel get it from the manufactor fluted. Don't buy it from the manufactor and have someone else do the fluting. I believe the problem with fluting barrels comes from having them fluted incorrectly or something to that affect.

Yea i dont understand it either. Yea if i decide to flute, it will be done by Pac-Nor.

Fluting will not make a barrel stiffer than one in same contour without flutes. But, it will be stiffer than one of same weight. A fluted #4 will weigh around the same or a little less than an unfluted #3. But the fluted #4 will be stiffer because of the larger diameter of the barrel. Hope I didn't make it sound too confusing.

Fluting of a button rifled barrel should be done BEFORE rifling. Fluting will change the internal dimensions of the buttoned barrel. This is routinely measured by the makers and repeatedly confirmed.

Cut rifled barrels can be fluted AFTER rifling with no detrimental effects.

Of course someone will disagree, and if you want to pay $400 plus for a barrel whose dimensions have changed from the intended specs, go for it.

As for the stiffness issue, that has already been addressed as a comparison of weights.

BH

Fluting only changes bore dimentions if the flutes are cut too deep. Fluting, improperly done, whether on a button rifled or cut rifled barrel will induce stress. I always let the manufacter do the contouring and fluting, they can do both more economically than having either done later As for the 'stiffer' thing,,, think of it like this, take two bars of 1018 steel (a common grade), one 1/2" rd. , one 1/2" sq. Put each in your big vise, one at a time, with the same length sticking out of the jaws. Which is more difficut to bend?

Im going to be ordering a barrel from pac-nor in a #6, i was contemplating having them contour as well. Ive been reading some older posts, some say do some say dont flute. Some say it makes barrel stiffer, which i dont understand. Some say it effects accuracy some say it doesnt. Any recent experience? Advice? Thanks

Rather than wade in with my opinion I would recommend that you =

1- Have the barrel fluted by the barrel maker because he is responsible for the
finished product and if it is out of spec. he has to make it good.

As to the stiffness - Log on to Lilja,s Web site and look under FAQ,s about this subject.
Other barrel makers may have something about it, but Dan has a good explanation.

And last but not least- Accuracy is not effected by a proper fluting job on a proper sized
barrel.

Improper fluting can be a disaster and even dangerous if not done properly just like
anything else with firearms.

J E CUSTOM

Rather than wade in with my opinion I would recommend that you =

1- Have the barrel fluted by the barrel maker because he is responsible for the
finished product and if it is out of spec. he has to make it good.

As to the stiffness - Log on to Lilja,s Web site and look under FAQ,s about this subject.
Other barrel makers may have something about it, but Dan has a good explanation.

And last but not least- Accuracy is not effected by a proper fluting job on a proper sized
barrel.

Improper fluting can be a disaster and even dangerous if not done properly just like
anything else with firearms.

J E CUSTOM

I plan on having it fluted by the barrel maker, thats not the issue. My concern is, wether or not a properly fluted barrel will perform as well as a nonfluted barrel? By fluting a #6 barrel am i taking away any advantage that a #6 contour would provide me? Thanks

I plan on having it fluted by the barrel maker, thats not the issue. My concern is, wether or not a properly fluted barrel will perform as well as a nonfluted barrel? By fluting a #6 barrel am i taking away any advantage that a #6 contour would provide me? Thanks

As a general rule a fluted #6 will weigh about the same as a non-fluted #5 so if you want the weight
and strength of a #6 have a #7 fluted.

In my opinion fluting is more for looks than weight because it has the same strength as another
non-fluted barrel of the same weight,contour and length.

So if you like the looks of the flutes, go for it.

It's kind of like muzzle breaks, If you like them,use them. if you don't or don't need them,why add
the cost .

Just my opinion.

PS: I have both and each has it's benefits.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.