Fluted barrels?

skip AI

Just a question, do fluted barrels cool down quicker than normal barrels?
I have a heavy barrel SAKO and am thinking of getting it fluted will there be any advantages or disadvantages?

TIA

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Skip
In theory yes, in practice no.
Some people will argue with me but in my eyes the only practical application of fluting is to reduce weight and allow the use of a thicker contour barrel.

I would not recommend fluting your heavy barrelled Sako,
the problems that could arise from fluting a hammer forged barrel could far outway the benifits of saving a few ounces in weight. Stresses built up during hammer forging will all be released during fluting and destroy the integrity of your barrel.
Being a Sako its most likely a tack driver, would you want to loose that accuracy? I think not.
I dont know how they do it at the factory but makers of cut rifled barrels, cut the flutes before rifling in order to keep the bore straight.
Maybe someone out there who is more knowledgeable could tell you if there is a way of doing it to hammer forged barrels without ruining the integrity of the barrel.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.